Vista(32Bit) Bug? Black screen -> Restart randomly

Justas

Good day all, I was wonder if anyone has run into this error before, or might know what could be causing it. Randomly (Around 5-10min) the screen will go black and the system will idle for a min then restart. There are also the casual freeze on login errors, but I am not concerned with those. The system is running on 667 memory (used to be a problem with Vista freezing for this board before), but is has occurred with 533 as well (which seems to run well on any Vista system). It has the latest BIOS and drivers.

I assume this is a software problem though. I have tried to replicate the problem on a fresh system without any luck yet. But I am not aware of what might be causing this error. The HDD and memory have passed their respective tests multiple times, and the motherboard has been replaced without any change. I have tried to access the systems mini dump but every time I do the system crashes while opening the file. I am unaware of any special privileges that you may need to view the file.

Hopefully someone out there has encountered this error and found the cause... I almost miss XP's BSOD... at least that gave you information on what is happening to your computer.

:thumbupHow is your cooling? All fans are ok and working. This will sound dumb, but it has been done before, when you attached your cpu cooler you made sure to remove to cover on the thermal pad if you used a boxed one, or made sure that you applied thermal paste between the cooler and cpu if you used an aftermarket on. Check the fan on your video card, as they heat up they to can make a system black out and reboot. Also make sure that your power supply fan is operating, and that the PSU is large enough to power the system. My system specs are below and as you can see between the CPU cooler and the video cards I had to get a large PSU, When I used a smaller wattage the system did all sorts of odd thing.

System Specs:

EVGA 680I mother Board

1-WD 150gb Raptor

3-WD 500gb Caviar Se

2-EVGA 8800gtx’s

4gb OCZ DDR2 PC9600

Sound Blaster XFI Plat.

Intel 6800 extreme @ 3.2 ghz

Enermax 1000 Galaxy PSU

Vigor Gaming Monsoon 2 CPU cooler(peltier)

Hope this helps.

Good day all, I was wonder if anyone has run into this error before, or might know what could be causing it. Randomly (Around 5-10min) the screen will go black and the system will idle for a min then restart. There are also the casual freeze on login errors, but I am not concerned with those. The system is running on 667 memory (used to be a problem with Vista freezing for this board before), but is has occurred with 533 as well (which seems to run well on any Vista system). It has the latest BIOS and drivers.

I assume this is a software problem though. I have tried to replicate the problem on a fresh system without any luck yet. But I am not aware of what might be causing this error. The HDD and memory have passed their respective tests multiple times, and the motherboard has been replaced without any change. I have tried to access the systems mini dump but every time I do the system crashes while opening the file. I am unaware of any special privileges that you may need to view the file.

Hopefully someone out there has encountered this error and found the cause... I almost miss XP's BSOD... at least that gave you information on what is happening to your computer.

Sounds like voltage issues or a bad component.

If you're overclocking, it's a bad overclock.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Try this.

Control panel --> System --> Advance System Settings (left pane)

Now click SETTINGS in "Startup and Recovery".

Now in the System Failure dialog box

UNCHECK "Automatically restart" then press OK.

This will take care of your black screen/reboot issue.