Unable to browse certain websites....

mp8dude

Hello everyone, this is a strange problem...

Till yesterday, I was able to browse my bank's website.

Today, I am not able to browse to their website using BOTH IE7 and FireFox on Vista Ultimate....

I am able to do so thro another machine running WinXP.

I checked my hosts file, but there are no entries other than localhost. I even tried to disable the VISTA 'firewall', but no avail... still unable to browse to THAT PARTICULAR site only.

This is perplexing.. if anybody has any suggestions, I am most greatful..

Hmm..nope.. I am not using any HOSTS file... and I dont think I have any other 'security' app that monitors (I disabled the Vista Firewall too.. )

Both IE and FF just keep spinning forever when I visit this particular bank's website on one particular machine only :(

Since this is a bank site obviously you're looking at a SSL problem. Since it happens with 2 different browsers it's probably not an ie setting.

Secure sites use port 443, therefore when you go to:

www.bank.com

Your browser actually goes to

www.bank.com:443

So in your browser type:

www.bank.com:80

To see if it comes up, if it does something is broken with SSL. can you go to other secure websites? It www.bank.com:80 doesn't come up, you don't have an SSL issue. Ping the website. Browse by ip address.

Next do basic troubleshooting:

reset everything in internet options, set the security level to default

check your date & time

make sure no firewalls or routers are blocking port 443

-gosh

Since this is a bank site obviously you're looking at a SSL problem. Since it happens with 2 different browsers it's probably not an ie setting.

Secure sites use port 443, therefore when you go to:

www.bank.com

Your browser actually goes to

www.bank.com:443

So in your browser type:

www.bank.com:80

To see if it comes up, if it does something is broken with SSL. can you go to other secure websites? It www.bank.com:80 doesn't come up, you don't have an SSL issue. Ping the website. Browse by ip address.

Next do basic troubleshooting:

reset everything in internet options, set the security level to default

check your date & time

make sure no firewalls or routers are blocking port 443

-gosh

Thanks Gosh... I tried all options you suggested. No avail.. I also reset IE7 to defaults.... The bank (http://www.dcu.org/) has both http and https. Both these are not coming up. Browsing using IP address is also not coming up. I also tried the ":portnumber" you suggested. I also downloaded the latest Opera. The site is not coming up.

I dont think it is a broken SSL, since the site comes up in my XP box, without problems (IE7 and FF).

All other important sites are coming up... tried a dozen others with SSL and non SSL.

This issue is not affecting me, because I have another XP box to get to my bank..... But this is very strange :blink:

Do you think this is because of something screwed up in Group Policy? Are there any tools to check and see why a particular site is not coming up (All browsers say "Connecting...." and sits there forever)

If you cannot browse the site by ip address...

http://1.2.3.4:80

then ping the website

ping 1.2.3.4

If you get 4 replies, you have connectivity with the site. If ping fails, post the error. If ping fails you're looking at a problem with your firewall, router, parental control software, hosts file, or ISP, or the website has disabled icmp ping requests.

-gosh

Edited by gosh