Image Manager for WinPE (using Ghost32/GDisk32)

MadBoy

Last Updated: 6.XII.2009 Current Version is 2.0.0.3

What is it for:

Image Manager was written for use within Windows PE 2.0. It's purpose is to make imaging (saving or loading) a lot faster comparing to procedure used within dos. This program to work requires Symantec Ghost (ghost32.exe). Program also supports Gdisk32 wipe functionality.

post-44662-1260129840_thumb.png

To run program you just need:

1. Working WinPE solution

2. image_manager_<version>.exe (either x32 or or x64)

3. image_manager_config.xml file

4. ghost32.exe and optionally gdisk32.exe (if you want wipe functionality)

Features:

1. Three simple steps to LOAD or SAVE image (skip one if you don't use mapped network drives)

2. Maps network drives (can map more then one drive with single click)

3. Preset settings in .xml file for easier/faster use.

- Option to check on SAVE for special files (to make sure the files are there before making image)

- Option to check on SAVE for sysprep files (to make sure sysprep.inf located in multiple locations is the same size and exists)

- Option to cleanup some directories that you always forget to clean before imaging

- Option to delete some files on LOAD (as in if you want to fix something and you know some .vbs/.exe file will be run on startup)

- Option to preset more then one domain account in .xml file for more convinient use of program

- Option to preset more then one (or just one) network share in .xml file for more convinient use of program

- Option to predefine images in .xml file for easy loading from share.

- Many more

Unfortunately due to how WinPE works the files location has to be special. Program will look for config file on the same drive that "\Sources\BOOT.WIM" is located and will check if this path exists: "\Main\image_manager_config.xml". Don't worry if there are more then one directory like that. Program goes thru all drives looking for those 2 files. If it doesn't find the config file it will start in "Deploy" mode only. You won't be able to save image with it. But you will be able to deploy one. This is one of the features so if you have Build team that creates images you can share the WinPE USB PenDrive image with affiliate without need to give them option to create their own images. XML file is self explaining. Keep it similar to given examples.

Also ghost32.exe/gdisk32.exe location also needs to be special. Program by default will look for it in directory GHOST\ghost32.exe (gdisk32.exe) that should be located in the same directory as image_manager_<version>.exe. However if program won't find ghost32.exe it will display FolderGUI (Similar to MyComputer) so you can easly find it. If you will find program will continue. If not tough luck.

Following ghost switches are used during creation of image:

-clone,mode=dump,src=1,dst="' & $ghost_file & '" -sure -fx -z9 -fni -fns -span -auto'

Following ghost switches are used during loading of image:

-clone,mode=restore,src="' & $ghost_file & '",dst=1,sze1=80P -sure -auto -fx'

You can force change of them in .XML file (check config, entries on top). I suggest to not touch it unless you know what you are doing.

Things you should know:

<write_access>No</write_access> - If you remove write_access entry you will disable write image functionality. This is useful if you give affiliates program to just load images, and they don't need to save them. You can of course also use Yes/No switch.

When mapping drives program searches for builds_list.xml file. It allows easy populate of images to deploy in the main listview on first tab.

Download program and config file from this location.

Changelog:

Version 1.9.6.0

- Added button proceed is now disabled if GHOST32.EXE or GDISK32.EXE aren't found.

- Added Recovery Console

- Fixed possible config places

- Fixed problem with wrong image name when saving (lack of space)

Version 1.9.7.0

- Renamed couple of functions to be more descriptive

- Fixed reloading of drives on disk wipe

- Fixed tab names that were causing gui issues

- Added special option that enlarges Builds Window and hides save build features if the Save option is not enabled.

- Fixed couple of issues with disk wipe view to make sure proper drive is choosen when selecting

Version 1.9.8.0

- Added initialization for Windows PE. This is important as it installs PnP drivers etc

- Added force for the keyboard to UK layout

- Added Wipe Function progress display in LogBox

- Added some CDROM "startup" functions

Version 1.9.9.0

- Fixed Wipe function progress was displaying unnessecary space in the begining of percentage.

- Fixed Wipe function - additional sleep commands, a bit more changes to wipe look

- Fixed Wipe function - problem with array (hopefully).

- Added full DVDROM "startup" support.

- Added variable to remember the old choice of image

Version 1.9.9.1

- Fixed Wipe function - problem with array (100%)

- Fixed Wipe function - progress display should be more accurate

Version 1.9.9.2

- Fixed Wipe function - problem with array (200%)

Version 1.9.9.3

- Fixed DVDROM booting function - problem with array

Version 1.9.9.4

- Added progress bar for WIPE option

- Removed progress from LogBox for WIPE

Version 1.9.9.5

- Optimized progress bar for Wipe option

- Added progress text for Wipe option aswell

Version 1.9.9.6

- Added About Window

- Added initialize commands to .xml config file

Version 1.9.9.7

- Fixed problem with error msg "Use GUICtrlDelete to delete items or if items created with UDF function make sure to pass in handle to control not the controlID"

- Fixed mapping of drives so all fields have to be typed in before proceeding

- Added diagnostic mode

Version 1.9.9.8

- Added commands to log window that are executed in diagnostic window

- Added waiting screen while winpeinit is running.

- Modified Recovery Console behaviour

- Fixed loading of config file not always happend. Program will now wait for winpeinit function to execute and find external removable devices.

- Fixed extended waiting timeout to 60seconds for Winpe Init function

Version 1.9.9.9

- Internal company release

Version 2.0.0.0

Version 2.0.0.1

- Little fixes (non-public)

Version 2.0.0.2

- Removed company code

Version 2.0.0.3

- First public release of 2.0.X version

Have a nice day! Feel free to provide ideas/suggestion and bug reports!

Edited by MadBoy

New version released (1.8.5)

- Added posibility to change settings for ghost32 (check newest config file)

@poppyq - Enjoy ;)

For those that have downloaded 1.8.5 before this message please redownload it. I've overlooked that i have set the config file for XP instead of PE is used in that version. I have reuploaded correct version of 1.8.5 now.

This is a sweet little app you have but is there any way we can have this run from the command prompt? I currently have a BartPE CD that loads network drivers, maps a drive to the share that has the image, loads the image on to the HDD and reboots without any intervention aside from me "pressing any key to boot from cd".

I love the fact that BartPE can map a network drive that requires a username/password without me having to enter it.

Now if I can find something similar in WinPE, I'll be super happy!!

This is a sweet little app you have but is there any way we can have this run from the command prompt? I currently have a BartPE CD that loads network drivers, maps a drive to the share that has the image, loads the image on to the HDD and reboots without any intervention aside from me "pressing any key to boot from cd".

I love the fact that BartPE can map a network drive that requires a username/password without me having to enter it.

Now if I can find something similar in WinPE, I'll be super happy!!

I have kinda forgot about BartPE ;) Maybe my program works in it aswell. Then i would just have to fix the config settings for it. Anyway if someone can test if it works then i can add some changes (as WinPe uses diffrent commands for shutdown etc).

As for command prompt. Well i was thinking about deploy 1 image setting only that you would put in .xml file everything (image name, username, map shares) but there are couple of questions to answer before i could even try to implent this.

1. What about password? For security sake you shouldn't save password in .xml file so maybe this little question for password in Automated mode?

2. I would have to solve how to search for image you point in .xml. Either when you add image name you should be adding relative path to where it could be locatated (cutting out drive letter of course) and my program would go thru each drive it finds (like it does now for config file) and look for that image.

On my to do list as soon as i finish my other project (Post Installer) is to fix the configuration file reading at start of a program. Right now at basically any point of time my program refers for value to .xml file. Its okey but for example you have to keep usb pendrive connected once you choose thing to save/deploy. While if it would read it on begining you could get the pendrive out and use it on other computer asap.

Well, I'm not too worried about the password, as I currently have it saved on my BartPe disc.

The reason I don't worry is because the account "BartPE" only has read/write permissions to the folder with the image. This account has no other rights on anything else. It's not even part of the users group.

• 11 months later...

Can we implement auto-eject in ghost32 version 11 using xml config ?

Let's say I have 2 ghost DVD disks and wanted to eject disk1 after restoring and then proceed with disk2.

Assume that my DVD drive does not have eject button and the only way to eject dvd is to use a paper clip.

Can we implement auto-eject in ghost32 version 11 using xml config ?

Let's say I have 2 ghost DVD disks and wanted to eject disk1 after restoring and then proceed with disk2.

Assume that my DVD drive does not have eject button and the only way to eject dvd is to use a paper clip.

Well the problem is ghost11 doesn't have that switch so the only way is to look for the "message from Ghost32" saying that it needs another DVD. Can you type me exactly how the title of window with ghost32 asking for replacing DVD looks like (maybe screenshot will be better). Then i can see if this can be implemented.

Actually the Image Manager that is here is outdated. The new version also supports Disk Wipe thru GDisk32 and has limited console builtin which allows to use ipconfig / ping and arp to check for network problems.

I just need to edit it a bit and post it ;-)

• 1 year later...

I've refreshed download location and uploaded newest version that I had not released for quite long time. Enjoy.

Version history

Version 1.9.6.0

- Added button proceed is now disabled if GHOST32.EXE or GDISK32.EXE aren't found.

- Added Recovery Console

- Fixed possible config places

- Fixed problem with wrong image name when saving (lack of space)

Version 1.9.7.0

- Renamed couple of functions to be more descriptive

- Fixed reloading of drives on disk wipe

- Fixed tab names that were causing gui issues

- Added special option that enlarges Builds Window and hides save build features if the Save option is not enabled.

- Fixed couple of issues with disk wipe view to make sure proper drive is choosen when selecting

Version 1.9.8.0

- Added initialization for Windows PE. This is important as it installs PnP drivers etc

- Added force for the keyboard to UK layout

- Added Wipe Function progress display in LogBox

- Added some CDROM "startup" functions

Version 1.9.9.0

- Fixed Wipe function progress was displaying unnessecary space in the begining of percentage.

- Fixed Wipe function - additional sleep commands, a bit more changes to wipe look

- Fixed Wipe function - problem with array (hopefully).

- Added full DVDROM "startup" support.

- Added variable to remember the old choice of image

Version 1.9.9.1

- Fixed Wipe function - problem with array (100%)

- Fixed Wipe function - progress display should be more accurate

Version 1.9.9.2

- Fixed Wipe function - problem with array (200%)

Version 1.9.9.3

- Fixed DVDROM booting function - problem with array

Version 1.9.9.4

- Added progress bar for WIPE option

- Removed progress from LogBox for WIPE

Version 1.9.9.5

- Optimized progress bar for Wipe option

- Added progress text for Wipe option aswell

Version 1.9.9.6

- Added About Window

- Added initialize commands to .xml config file

Version 1.9.9.7

- Fixed problem with error msg "Use GUICtrlDelete to delete items or if items created with UDF function make sure to pass in handle to control not the controlID"

- Fixed mapping of drives so all fields have to be typed in before proceeding

- Added diagnostic mode

Version 1.9.9.8

- Added commands to log window that are executed in diagnostic window

- Added waiting screen while winpeinit is running.

- Modified Recovery Console behaviour

- Fixed loading of config file not always happend. Program will now wait for winpeinit function to execute and find external removable devices.

- Fixed extended waiting timeout to 60seconds for Winpe Init function

Version 1.9.9.9

Version 2.0.0.0

Version 2.0.0.1

- Little fixes (non-public)

Version 2.0.0.2

- Removed company code

Version 2.0.0.3

- First public release of 2.0 version