Startup Problem

shades

After recently defragging my hard drive, I now receive a blank explorer window at start up with the pathway C:\Program Files\Common displayed. I searched online and found couple responses about this:

Run Program Solution

Regedit Solution

I don't want to mess up the computer further but wanted to ask if anyone has had this issue before? The first solution sounds the easiest. I also have TweakUI on my computer. Perhaps I can use that tool? Any advice?

Thanks,

Dave

After recently defragging my hard drive, I now receive a blank explorer window at start up with the pathway C:\Program Files\Common displayed.

You either recently acquired malware, installed/uninstalled some other software at the same time as defragmenting to cause that because all defragmentation does is move data around, it does not change any data.

Use AutoRun to check what is loading at startup.

I was having problems with IE crashing and I uninstalled some programs in case it may help with that problem. I don't mind using Firefox but some websites require IE.

Norton also alerted me to a couple things that I need to fix. This was in regards to Phishing. I hit the Fix Now button and received an internal program error (see screenshot). With the assistance of someone in chat, I contacted Symantec and they provided me some steps to follow:

Symantec's Solution

I followed these steps and downloaded the file, which was added to the registry. This may have something to do with my problem, but I don't know. At any rate, I still have the same error message with Norton along with the start up issue I am trying to resolve. Should I do something with Norton first? post-24235-1188764409_thumb.jpg

Edited by shades

Thanks for the help. Since I have only had Norton for a little over 30 days, I contacted Symantec before removing it and was able to request a refund. Removing Norton seemed to do the trick. I no longer have the start up issue and IE does not crash on me. Now, it's back to the drawing board to find a good anti-virus program that will not slow down or mess up my system.

Thanks for the help. Since I have only had Norton for a little over 30 days, I contacted Symantec before removing it and was able to request a refund. Removing Norton seemed to do the trick. I no longer have the start up issue and IE does not crash on me. Now, it's back to the drawing board to find a good anti-virus program that will not slow down or mess up my system.

Shades,

If you read many internet forums you will find a re-occurring theme.

Norton is a terrible resource hog and a program that does NOT find and remove

anywhere near ALL of the viruses currently out there.

It also interferes with many other windows programs and utilities.

Any technician worth his salt is very well experienced with Norton Removal (see my signature line).

I remove Norton from every computer I work on.

For several years now, I've been using AVG 7.5 FREE (anti virus) and I also install it for all my customers.

Everyone who uses it, learns quickly to love its simplicity and its effectiveness. The automatic daily

upgrade doesn't hurt either.

You can download AVG from the link in this entry (from my own security url list on my website)

ANTI-VIRUS PROTECTION:

AVG 7.5 FREE:

World famous AVG FREE will keep your computer free of viruses,

trojans, dialers, etc.

By default, it updates and scans for viruses on a daily basis.

AVG 7.5 FREE, can be downloaded from:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5

Scroll down the page to "FREE Downloads" and then click on:

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5

That takes you to the next page where you can select:

avg75free_485a1117.exe (or the currently posted version)

Save the file to your desktop and run the install from there.

If you have an older version of AVG free already installed,

use the 'Repair Install' option when installing v. 7.5.

Immediately get updates. More than one may be required.

Good Luck and Happy Computing,

Andromeda43 B)