Secret BCD Setting?

gosh

I was playing around with BCD to see how it works, and i noticed a setting i haven't seen documented anywhere.

My computer is currently dual booting between xp and vista at home. When i start the pc, i get the bcd boot menu that has "use previous os" listed first, and windows vista listed second. If i select the option for vista and press F10 on keyboard, i get an option to edit the windows vista option. However i dont have this option if i select the 'previous os version' option. I don't see F10 documented anywhere.

Is this a secret or is it already common knowledge? I would post screenshots but i dont got vista installed at work.

-gosh

F10 is available for Vista and higher OSes only

it is for editiong the boot options like NoExecute or DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS or any other documented boot options

it is an extesions to the "loadoptions" bcd setting, that allows dynamically adding boot options

(like the linux loaders can do)

for older oses, it is not possible as bootmgr loads the ntldr only(then ntldr scans the boot.ini for boot options), adding any boot options by bootmge willbe ignored by ntldr as it only searhes boot.ini