I Believ I Just Broke My Motherboard

Brando569

It all started out with something easy in mind: swap out my x2 4200 for my x2 3800 to see if it was alright before i sold it. I saw that my heatsink was covered in dust so I took it apart and cleaned it, lo and behold i put the tensioner on backwards and when i screwed the heatsink back onto the motherboard it applied too much force and I believe it destroyed the socket.

I tried the motherboard with both CPUs and got the same error tone (also the error lights on the board said there was something wrong with the CPU) I remembered that after the initial time I installed the heatsink (with the tensioner on backwards) it didnt work. so I unscrewed the heatsink (while leaving it sit on the CPU) and turned it on it beeped and seemed like everything was alright. I proceeded to swap the direction of the tensioner and screw the heatsink on lightly and go from there. I got the same beeps as I did the first time.

I removed the x2 3800 and noticed a click when I lifted the arm for the socket, I tested the fluency of the arm and everything with no CPU in there and it seemed fine. I placed the x2 4200 in there and lowered the arm and didnt hear a click but it felt a little stiff.

So in short I've tried everything from clearing the CMOS various different ways to swapping out processors. Is there any way to remove the socket and see if anything is damaged?

If not it looks like I'm going to have to shell out more money for another motherboard :(

BTW, The Board is A DFI Lan Party UT NF4 Ultra-D.

Edited by Brando569

post a picture of it.

its possible that you popped contacts off the motherboard within the socket, or a resistor or diode that sits under the core.

there is no easy way of fixing it...are you still under warrantee/RMA period or are you up the creek without a paddle?

i'd suggest looking for an open box board if you can, because it means you wont have two of everything lying around.

i guess it doesn't do much now, but always double check your work, and even if it means another few minutes, don't do it wrong and leave it that way.

Is there any way to remove the socket and see if anything is damaged?... ...If not it looks like I'm going to have to shell out more money for another motherboard :(

I think you can forget that motherboard. First you need to remove 939 pins of soldering point, you can do that with some chemicals but you need to know what you are doing, for sure you are going to destroy the board the first time you do it. Second, there is less to none stores that sell the sockets separated, so no luck with that either.

So, I would start to look for a new board... sadly enough...

edit: my father and I were just talking about this and maybe i wasnt too clear in my first post, is there any way to remove the top portion of the socket (the sliding portion) to see if anything is damaged under that?

i figured thats how it would end :( what sucks now is when the i bought the board off of ebay it was $65 now everywhere i look theyre atleast $115, although i did see 2 used boards on ebay for around $4 with around 3 days left, guaranteed that will sky rocket.

Edited by Brando569

Naa, forget it, its way to hard the first time you do it. I did it before with many Socket 462 motherboards, broken clips that hold the CPU cooler in place. I could fix 9 out of 10 or so, and that after practicing on 5 that I completely destroyed :P.

New mobo, no other way...