SVChost problem came back

ruralpctech

Ok we have 400 plus computers mostly running XP PRO SP2 pushing updates through wsus server All systems have office 2003 with the exception of a couple office 2007 machines. Running the two part fix for the svchost problem does not work. Problem is so severe that it is affecting the buisness and the amount of work that people can actually do. Has anyone tried anything else to fix this problem. We do not leave our pcs on all the time at the current so setting up to automatically download and install during the off hours will not work. And of course it does not affect any set group or type of computer it picks and chooses who it wants to mess with and today it just had to be people in our administration who dont understand why we cant get the problem taken care of. Any and all help would be appreciated.

DC and DNS servers are all 2003 servers. If I am leaving anything out please let me know and I will get you the info.

Thanks in advance.

This may not apply but...

We recently ran across an issue where the WMI Repository size can exhibit the same type of behavior. You can check the size at:

%SystemRoot%\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR

If that file is too large you'll get some strange behavior from SVCHOST.EXE (it'll use 100% CPU much like the Automatic Update problem). We had a couple of machines where the file was several gigabyte large. It shouldn't be any larger than about 10MB or so.

It's also possible that the Repository could be corrupted without it being too large. The tool we used to fix it is WMIDiag. It certainly wouldn't hurt to run the utility against a workstation or two just to see what it says.

It's known that the KB927891 update doesn't always work. Microsoft released an even newer msi.dll to fix further SVCHOST problems, see KB939273.

Edited by Bleeder

It's known that the KB927891 update doesn't always work. Microsoft released an even newer msi.dll to fix further SVCHOST problems, see KB939273.

Well contaced Microsoft for the hotfix KB939273 They send me an email back stating its only for XP media edition, XP Tablet, Server 2003, and Windows 2000 So I sent another email back stating that fine if its not the right one find the right one and send it to me... lol Wont get me anywhere but at least I made them read a 2 page email :P Getting really tired of the run around from them. We pay for support and its a joke. I get more help from here then I do from them. Which reminds me. I think its time to donate a little to keep this Forum up and running.

Thanks guys will post if I find a true answer to this problem.

Well contaced Microsoft for the hotfix KB939273 They send me an email back stating its only for XP media edition, XP Tablet, Server 2003, and Windows 2000 So I sent another email back stating that fine if its not the right one find the right one and send it to me... lol Wont get me anywhere but at least I made them read a 2 page email :P Getting really tired of the run around from them. We pay for support and its a joke. I get more help from here then I do from them. Which reminds me. I think its time to donate a little to keep this Forum up and running.

Thanks guys will post if I find a true answer to this problem.

Try here:

http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?...odule=downloads

Click search, KB939273, and whala!

No offense, but if you're a premier customer and pay for support you should already know that you can go to the premier site and get hotfixes without creating a case.

If you're just talking about paying for per-incident support without an actual support contract or SA, you can skip that as well and just go here:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/CUHotFix_LandingPage_Request

No offense, but if you're a premier customer and pay for support you should already know that you can go to the premier site and get hotfixes without creating a case.

If you're just talking about paying for per-incident support without an actual support contract or SA, you can skip that as well and just go here:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/CUHotFix_LandingPage_Request

Yeah I did know that and tbh we arent a premier customer but I got ahold of someone who didnt want to charge me and well Meh not to happy with them 4 hours on the phone and xfered 5-6 times finally got ahold of someone that knew what he was talking about and I decided it was time for me to go home and I will deal with them today.