.DOCX - A new Microsoft Office format without support for Windows 9x

Sfor

Users of the Microsoft Office 2000 package do have ability to add the .DOCX converters through installation of the Office Compatibility Pack 3.0. The problem is it requires Windows 2000 or newer to install. So, Office 2000 users running Windows 98 were left behind.

Is there any solution to this dilema?

Perhaps the KernelEx update can solve the problem.

Or, perhaps, OpenOffice holds a solution.

I found, there is a DOCX converter for Novel OpenOffice edition. Unfortunately, it does not work with other OpenOffice editions.

Edited by Sfor

I patched the Office Compatibility Pack 3.0 and installed it on a Windows 98 Office 2000 system. Unfortunately it does not work correctly. The DOCX document opens in the Word, but the result looks like a binary file, or something.

I know there were successful attempts with older Office Compatibility Pack versions.

The same patched pack works on Windows 2000, but not on Windows 98.

Looks like the decompression part of the DOCX format converter does not work with Windows 98. It would be explanation of the binary data instead of text, I'm receiving on Windows 98. Since the XML is a text format, the only source of binary data is compression.

---------------------------

I decided to test the KernelEx update. And the result is different now. So, no binary data, any more. There is an error message instead.

DARN!!!

Edited by Sfor