Two XP-SP2/MCE Questions

ZaForD

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd play with HFSlip and WinXP over the weekend.

[Yes, its true, I have no life :( ]

Anyway, I kept getting two little problems:

1. In WinXP some of of my .REG files don't seem to work.

They are imported into the Registry, and show up in the Registry.

But aren't applied untill I reset them manually ?

These are .REG files I've used many times with both STD installs and RyanVM's Pack installs.

I nomally start them from the CMDLINES.TXT which didn't work, so I then tried them from the HFGUIRUNONCE folder, but it made no difference. Any ideas why they maybe messing around ?

2. I tried HFSlip on MCE05, and I have to say I'm really impressed how easy it was to do.

Adding Rollup2 with the .NET fixes is normally a right pain to get working. But it was a breeze with HFSlip. :thumbup

The problem I'm having is, I added the IE7 files to this as well. It's being packed up and added to the SVCPACK folder, but its not installing. Is there a difference process to installing IE7 in MCE05 ?

Thanks Guys.

HFSLIP.zip

1. In WinXP some of of my .REG files don't seem to work.

They are imported into the Registry, and show up in the Registry.

But aren't applied untill I reset them manually ?

These are .REG files I've used many times with both STD installs and RyanVM's Pack installs.

I nomally start them from the CMDLINES.TXT which didn't work, so I then tried them from the HFGUIRUNONCE folder, but it made no difference. Any ideas why they maybe messing around ?

If the .REG files were placed in HFGUIRUNONCE you may need to reboot first before they take effect. Did you try that before reapplying them?
2. I tried HFSlip on MCE05, and I have to say I'm really impressed how easy it was to do.

Adding Rollup2 with the .NET fixes is normally a right pain to get working. But it was a breeze with HFSlip. :thumbup

The problem I'm having is, I added the IE7 files to this as well. It's being packed up and added to the SVCPACK folder, but its not installing. Is there a difference process to installing IE7 in MCE05 ?

Well... Installation of IE7 requires the OS to be activated already, otherwise the setup program will abort. I suppose your "regular" XP source is a corporate edition or one that doesn't require activation, which explains why IE7 installed properly on that. You could try to slipstream it instead by using IE7SVCPACK=1 in HFANSWER.INI.

If the .REG files were placed in HFGUIRUNONCE you may need to reboot first before they take effect. Did you try that before reapplying them?
I think I did, as I installed some other Apps/Utils/Drivers before I noticed the missing tweaks.

But I run through it again [adding the drivers I forgot last time :huh: ] and see what happens after a reboot.

Well... Installation of IE7 requires the OS to be activated already, otherwise the setup program will abort. I suppose your "regular" XP source is a corporate edition or one that doesn't require activation, which explains why IE7 installed properly on that. You could try to slipstream it instead by using IE7SVCPACK=1 in HFANSWER.INI.
Duh.....

I even went to the trouble of digging out the three OEM disks, to make sure the source and updates were clean. But then installed on a Virtual PC to test it... :blushing:

Sorry Tomcat76. I'll go back to my corner and leave you alone now. ;)