BIOS whoopsie

FabulousFred

Asus G33 mobo + BIOS update + Stupid buyer with bad luck = Dead MObo

:blushing:

It runs for a few seconds than stops and restarts. Nothing shows on screen.

I am BIOS flash happy....thats #2 for me.

BTW.....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820231065 good stuff? I have read that its good but want MSFNs opinion.

But the PC doesnt stay on long enough to do anything.

No...from what I read it stays on but the boot process cycles. :)

What model is the motherboard? Asus has included BIOS recovery features on their boards for a few years now.

If the motherboard is dead due to a bad bios flash then its very rarely possible to just about none to recover the bios. The best thing to do is to RMA the board with newegg.

Wrong. Most good motherboard manufacturers are included BIOS recovery features on their boards now. Even Dell has this waaaaaay back in the XPS Txxx days (a feature of the rebranded Intel motherboard they used).

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Part of that is a "feature" of the newer Asus boards. My P5B-E worried me the first time it did it. When you boot up it starts, powers off, then starts up like normal.

This is from page 2-9, paragraph 2.1.5 of the manual:

The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 is an auto recovery tool that allows you to restore the BIOS file when it fails or gets corrupted during the updating process. You can update a corrupted BIOS file using the motherboard support CD, the floppy disk, or the USB flash disk that contains the updated BIOS file.

Grab the manual from their site or the rest of the information.

The CD didnt work. Do I just unzip the bios rom onto the thumbdrive?

The CD didnt work.

EXACTLY!!! Most motherboard manufactures do have a bios recovery method but form the ones I've tested...DIDN"T WORK. So to the other reply..No I'm not wrong. And yes I you can just RMA through newegg instead of the manufacturer.

Let's try one more thing before giving up... :)

Fred: Try setting the clear CMOS jumper. Again, instructions should be in the manual you downloaded (it's on page 1-26). If nothing else, pull the power from the wall (or power supply) and remove the battery for a few minutes.

To answer your question about the USB method...yes, just extract the file into the root of the USB drive. Note that it must be formatted in either FAT or FAT32.

I have been reading about other people having the same issue with the same motherboard though...and all of them tried the Windows BIOS update method.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&amp...amp;modelmenu=1

The HDD and fans will start. I hear the beep. Then it clicks off and before the drive even stops spinning it does it all again. Nothing shows up on the screen. :}

That sounds like wrong voltages. Also, some motherboards may do this if you're cranking up the Vcore!

I have a MSI 845E Max that does similar if I try to max out the Vcore in the BIOS.

Were you overclocking? Sounds like the crud I gotten when the BIOS don't have the right Vcore set.

This may be because the BIOS was being stubborn by not returning the frequencies back to stock while returning the voltages back to stock.

Either way, you're SOL, because even the jumpering and CMOS battery removal fails. :(

Edited by RJARRRPCGP