HFSLIP.CMD is deleting the HFSLIP folder!

LeveL

TommyP Thanks for your reply. My problem is, as you see is that I think I give and have given really great effort into understanding this f*ckin sh*t installations process, but it's out of my power to catch up with that understanding of yours. I was pharsing the HFSLIP source code for a year in the past every day, yet I was unable to find such things out by myself.

I really hate nlite for example because they are just another "black box" like Windows. You put in something, you get something, but you don't know the reasons, the methods applied. HFSLIP is better in the sense that the code is there, and one might be able understand it by himself.

These are new binaries. If you don't want them, why are you slipstreaming them in the first place?

I HFSLIP everything into it, put it on the shelf, then I make slimmed down version according to the current needs. At least nLite can handle it, or seems so... (blackbox effect?)

-------

EDIT:

That code is not based on what the latest test release writes.

I wrote that line, because I added that to the end of HFSLIPWU.INF, while also killed HFSLPGUI.INF. And there was no error, that is the HFSLIP folder was deleted as it had to.

I checked the code. If I'm right RunOnce executes before RunOnceEx. If that is the case then it seems like the only thing which could go wrong with this method is that DirectX uses ZZZ entries, which are to be processed after. (If I'm right no other entries reference to HFSLIP folder by that time). If we change Directx to ZZX (X for convinience ;)) and put this line to the end of HFSLIPWU.INF, everything ought to be fine...

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZZ","999",0,"CMD.EXE /C RD/Q/S ""%SystemRoot%\HFSLIP"""

edited: corrected te above line, seems like ok now.

Also I think I found something wrong in hfslip 1.7.0 Final

...HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZZxpsp1",999,bitsupdate,"cmd.exe /c ""%%SystemRoot%%\SYSTEM32\BITSINST.EXE /setbackupfilter"""

That "bitsupdate" should be 0x00000000 or 0 or nothing at all. I'm not sure.

Edited by whitehorses

TommyP. I have made some changes please look at it. Search for "WHITEHORSES MOD HERE" to find them.

It is working surprisingly well, but this does not mean that there could be no complications when using W2K directx for example, (simple RunOnce entries might need run after RunOnceEx... I dunno)

But this works for me with a HEAVILY nLighted and HFCLEANUPed (wmp6&9) source, whithout a single error. (see logs)

hfslip_170mod.zip

logs.zip

Edited by whitehorses

...HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\ZZZxpsp1",999,bitsupdate,"cmd.exe /c ""%%SystemRoot%%\SYSTEM32\BITSINST.EXE /setbackupfilter"""

That "bitsupdate" should be 0x00000000 or 0 or nothing at all. I'm not sure.

Jeez... Are you still on SP1? :)

That doesn't look too right. Should be fixed in 1.7.1rc1.

BTW... That's been there since support for the BITS update was added; it isn't new to 1.7.0.

• 1 month later...

@TC

I'm sorry to bump this post, but i have just tried HFSLIP 1.7.1, and it still has the same problem. Have you looked at the changes I made to 1.7.0, because that way the issue is solved for sure... without using HFSLIPGUI for the deletion INF folder.

Edited by whitehorses