Addons that makes custom start menu entries

Gompedyret

I want to sort my start menu proggie shortcuts into categories like multimedia, internet, system etc. Firefox would thus be internet/Firefox/submenu instead of just Firefox/submenu

Is there any (easy) way to customize this part of the install, preferably contained into the addon itself? Or (if I understand correctly) is it only the .msi ones, and then through "recording" your steps into an extra file which goes into the addon cab as well?

you can do it through a batch file. for the example you gave, something like this would work. create a new text document and save it as cleanup.cmd (or whatever name you prefer), and put this in:

@echo off
cmdow @ /HID

title "Organizing start menu..."

MD "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Internet"
MOVE "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Firefox\Firefox.lnk" "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Internet\Firefox.lnk"
RMDIR /Q /S "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Firefox"

EXIT

you'd obviously have to change the placeholders if it's necessary (i.e. it might be %AllUsersProfile% instead of %UserProfile%), and change the paths to whatever you want. then place the batch file into system32, and add this to the end of WINNT.SIF:

[GuiRunOnce]
"%WinDir%\system32\cleanup.cmd"

This:

MOVE "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Firefox\Firefox.lnk" "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Internet\Firefox.lnk"

or shorter:

MOVE "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Firefox\Firefox.lnk" "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Internet\"

Moves only the shortcut for Firefox, not the folder it's in (nor any subfolders).

While this:

MOVE "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Firefox" "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Internet\"

Moves the folder (including subfolders) and you won't need the RMDIR command.

• 1 month later...

I want to delete some shortcuts from the desktop, so I tried to use the information in this post.

I created the cleanup.cmd and placed it in the system32 directory of the source files, the file ended up in the ISO image that I generated, but it never got to the target machine when I tested the install, so when the command put in the WINNT.SIF file gets executed and error appears telling that the file cleanup.cmd cannot be found.

where do I need to place cleanup.cmd for it to by copied to the target machine?

Thanks,

Alfredo

You can:

-make shortcuts from an INF file: here

-create them with nircmd: Here

-use a small command line utility: Here

-edit the installer package (*.msi with orca).

I do not recommend simple copying, moving of shortcuts because that gives problems with the uninstall script and sometimes triggers reinstall repairs.

Hope it helps, good luck

Thanks for the info DL., I manage to delete the icons from the desktop.

Now I want to move some Start Menu items, my problem is that I'm using the spanish version of Windows and when I try to execute the followin command:

MOVE "%AllUsersProfile%\Menú Inicio\Programas\7-Zip" "%AllUsersProfile%\Menú Inicio\Programas\Accesorios\7-Zip"

I get en error message telling me that the system cannot find the path.

The environmental variable %AllUsersProfile% is returning the correct path, the problem is that Windows uses an accented char in the Start Menu path (Menú Inicio in Spanish).

Windows is converting Menú in Men·

The actual command as displayed from the command line:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>MOVE "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador\Men· Inicio\Programas \7-Zip" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador\Men· Inicio\Programas \Accesorios\7-Zip"

What can I do to correct this?

Thanks