Need a quick "that should work" or a "dude, you're

I have a (hurting) WinXP Home machine. Dell, no OS disk or restore partition. The plan is to re-install the OS.

The plan: use a different XP Home OS disk, use the hurting machines XP Key (OEM) and setupp.ini file, and hfslip all that to current. Make bootable ISO, burn to CD, Install.

That should work...right? Using the machines key, keeps the install legal and using the machines setupp.ini "should" allow for no future update problems...right?

If I am missing a step somewhere let me know. Thanks.

Straytoasters

Exactly, I am putting an OEM key back on the machine it came off of, with it's COA still plastered on the side. I muddied the waters on that posting with the "legal issues" thing (sorry)...my real concern was the future upgrades issue. The source cd I am using is NOT an OEM, but I am using the machines setupp.ini. Thanks.

Straytoasters

Hi Straytoasters,

Any CD should work reguardless of make, as long as the Setupp.ini used matches the CD Key.

If your COA says XP Home you should be able use any XP Home disk with your XP Home Setupp.ini and CD Key. But you'll have to phone MS to activate it once the install is complete.

Hope that helps. ;)

I had a similar problem. Although I had the original Dell CD, it wouldn't work to slipstream SP2. Can't recall the exact errors I was getting, but it didn't work. I went to the Dell site and requested a replacement CD (look in their support area) explaining that I needed a real XP installation disk, not a recovery disk. Don't know if I had to tell them that or not, but you will need to provide your serial number and COA key. I'm the original owner which may be important but the computer's five years old and well beyond any warranty coverage. I got an email response a few hours later and the CD THE NEXT DAY all for NO CHARGE! Excellent customer service. I was (still am) impressed.

The CD already includes SP2, so I just add RyanVM's update pack and go from there.

With that, you have a real Dell OEM CD which should work with your Dell machine without any problems.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Ray

Using a retail cd on an oem copy is a very bad idea. The oem is free to make as many customizations as it wants before it ships the computer, such as including non public hotfixes. Also, OEM's use a special oembios.bin to auto activate your copy of xp using your bios. You have a real possiblity of breaking activation mixing versions, i've seen it before.

You'll need a retail key for a retail cd because pidgen.dll is different for OEM and retail. You will need to modify setupp.ini because that specifies what kind of version you are using (upgrade, full, oem).

Your best bet is to get a retail cd and retail product key then clean install, or get an oem cd and oem product key and clean install.

-gosh