Windows Deployment Services Issue

lala22

Hi, I have a problem. I am trying to figure out the Windows Deployment Services and I need to install the Windows Preinstallation Enviroment (Windows PE). I cant find the drivers. I am using a Windows Server 2003. Is it possible to work? Can I find any drivers for the Windows PE for the Windows 2003 Server? I just found an installation guide for Windows 2000 RIS Server. I also have 2 cds if this help an Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Enviroment 2005 July 2005 and a Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Enviroment 2004 November 2004. Please give me some advice. What should I do? Where can I find Windows PE drivers or how can I install Windows PE . Thank you

Ok, because nobody has an answer. Can somebody tell me how can I use the Windows Deployment Services so I can have an image of (drivers,operation system and applications) so I can run to each computer I want to install these things? THANKS

if you are using WDS you can use the boot.wim. to deploy Xp in a native WDS installation you will need to get XP setup in a WIM file. if you are using mixed mode you can use the same RIS method that worked prior for XP

Hey fizban2,

Thank you very much for your reply it was very helpfull, but I also have a couple of questions for you.

1.Does the WIM is only an image of an operating system or is an operating system AND an application.

2.If it is only an operating system does do have to make separate WIMS for the applications?

3.How you can ecactly create a WIM file?

I am looking forward hearing from you soon. Thanks a lot

Regards,

Hey fizban2,

Thank you very much for your reply it was very helpfull, but I also have a couple of questions for you.

1.Does the WIM is only an image of an operating system or is an operating system AND an application.

2.If it is only an operating system does do have to make separate WIMS for the applications?

3.How you can ecactly create a WIM file?

I am looking forward hearing from you soon. Thanks a lot

Regards,

1. the WIm image can be just the OS or it can also have applications installed or stage in the WIM, that part is up to you.

2. N/A

3. BDD 2007 use this to build your WIMs, all the information you need it there, be warned there is alot to learn to get it working correctly

Thanks again for your reply

The BDD2007 said that can only deploy Microsoft Vista. Can I use it for Microsoft Xp ? I mean can I deploy the Microsoft XP operating system? I need an image that will have an OS (Microsoft XP, drivers, and some applications) Is that possible? Thank you again.

Regards,

Here's a guide on creating a WIM image of XP. Pretty much the same steps as creating an image to use with Ghost or Acronis, just different tools. Once you have the image you should be able to push it out with WDS.

[GUIDE] Creating WIM images of Windows XP for system deployment using Windows PE

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=674778

Hi again guys,

So the only thing I want as a conclution, is to have a windows 2003 server xp with i.e. 100 terminals and install the drivers, the OS (windows xp) and some standar applications to these 100 terminals with ONE click (by just clicking the .img. So I need to create an image with OS windows xp with drivers and with some standar applications.

1st question: Can I really do that?

2nd question: Can I do that without VISTA?

3rd question: How can I do that! Thanks again for all your help!

Regards,

Ok, because nobody has an answer yet. I have a more important question for you guys. I created the .img with my OS and some applications in it. My question is:

1) How can I upload this .img to the WDS server (I already have this running) and then have the option (with a control panel or something) from each computer to download this .img and select what things I want to install. Like, what drivers I want, what applications etc.

PLEASE let me know if you have an answer to this. Thank you very much

Best Regards,

Edited by lala22

Ok, because nobody has an answer yet. I have a more important question for you guys. I created the .img with my OS and some applications in it. My question is:

1) How can I upload this .img to the WDS server (I already have this running) and then have the option (with a control panel or something) from each computer to download this .img and select what things I want to install. Like, what drivers I want, what applications etc.

PLEASE let me know if you have an answer to this. Thank you very much

Best Regards,

Since Windows XP has something like 14 different HALs, the IMage you use needs to be machine specific. Unless your WIM is actually an install ISO, then that case is different. Windows PE, I hear, has full support for HTA scripting (also likly other tools as well).

There is a Windows PE section on this forum. You can capture an image with imagex to a network drive. The computer you are using to store the boot images does not need any WDS software installed unless you are using it for PXE Booting.

actually there are 7 different HALs. Some are compatible with other some are not and some you have to fiddle a little to get them to be compatible. But how many machines are not ACPI compliant anymore that you would wan to put an image on these days?

I'm so sorry. Unfortunatley you are looking at making at least two images. Ones for ACPI, ACPI Uniprocessor, and ACPU Multiprocessor HALs. And a second for the other three non ACPI HALs. Don't figure you really have to worry about the 7th which is for som particular compaq systems.

Hi again guys,

Thanks for ur help I really appreciate it. I also found some updates for the WDS server. The first is amd64 and the 2nd is x86 or something. How can I figure out which of these two updates I need?

Edited by lala22