DNS Cache Fix

Express

Hi All,

I have or should I say we have Win2k and XP machines at my company. We have a reg we want to push to both to clear the DNS. (see below)

BEGINREGISTRY

KEY: new, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters"

VALUE: reg_dword, replace, "MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit", "1"

VALUE: reg_dword, replace, "NegativeCacheTime", "0"

ENDREGISTRY

So if you do an “ipconfig /displaydns” you should never see anything aside from localhost entries.

Problem is, it works fine on XP's but I am unable to push to Win2k machines. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am thinking it may have something to do with regedit and regedt32??

Thanks.

regedt32.exe is just for permissions, i don't believe it would affect your issue. I dont know about your dns issue, never played with that. Sorry wish i could be more help.

-gosh

Sry guys, didn't mean to seem impatient.

I push out using LANDesk.

I have tested on w2k and it works too, running manually.

I want to be able to send to both OS's to install.

Does anyone have a betterr way??

Thanks

nmX.Memnoch I could have, can you elaborate some more please. Anything that can ease the process of setting all of four hundred something pc's with this dns fix. But as I mentioned we have win2ks and xp. Any help will be very grateful.

Thanks

nmX.Memnoch I could have, can you elaborate some more please. Anything that can ease the process of setting all of four hundred something pc's with this dns fix. But as I mentioned we have win2ks and xp. Any help will be very grateful.

Thanks

If you can get me a copy of the .reg file with the exact keys, values and settings you want to change then I can look into creating a custom ADM template. Just be warned that since these aren't standard Policies keys that the machine will be "tattooed" (Google 'group policy tattoo' for further information). It doesn't sound like you care about that though... :)

if the local users have the level of access you could import this into the registry silently in the logon script :)

Regular Users don't have access to change settings in HKLM\Settings.

eyeball, so maybe i can use ScriptLogic to install silently?

If you already have logon scripts then there may be a way to do it without creating a custom ADM template. AdminScriptEditor allows you to compile scripts into an executable and have them run with alternate credentials. You need at least the Professional edition and it requires the Secondary Logon service ('RunAs Service' on 2000) be enabled on the workstations.

Scriptlogic does generally have you set up an administrator account and a regular user account, so you could likely get scriptlogic to push this out. However, ADM templates are usuallly cleaner from a deployment standpoint, but you do have to watch out for the "tattoo" effect if you ever want to roll this back later.