Windows Version Conflict

Rocha06

I just tried to install my WinLite XP but I received a message saying that Setup could not continue because I my currently installed Windows is newer than the one I'm trying to install. So, do I have to format my computer before I install my WinLite?

One other thing: My WinLite's size is around 370Mb. Is that too much? It's my first time using it so I probably left a bunch of things. Should I try it again and make it lighter?

it best to install booting from cd, this will do a fresh install which means removing everything currently installed on your OS partition. 370MB is a nice size normally mine is around 650-700 :)

Edited by legolash2o

I know this is gonna sound stupid, but how do I boot from the cd? I completely forgot, it's been so long since I formated my HD (very scary thing, but I saved everything important).

My WinLite is small because I'm gonna install a lot of things later on, like drivers and 3rd party softwares.

Another stupid question: I have 2 HD's and I saved all of my important files on the slave one. Formating my primary HD will not make me lose all the stuff stored in my slave HD, right?

I know this is gonna sound stupid, but how do I boot from the cd? I completely forgot, it's been so long since I formated my HD (very scary thing, but I saved everything important).right?
Make your CDROM/DVDROM your first boot device in your BIOS. Change it back to your HDD0 when you are done.
Another stupid question: I have 2 HD's and I saved all of my important files on the slave one. Formating my primary HD will not make me lose all the stuff stored in my slave HD, right?
That is correct, but it is even safer if you just disconnect the drive you want to save. That way you can't make any mistakes and no crazy errors harm your data. Disconnecting the slave drive may require you to change the jumper on the remaining drive.

1. when you turn on your computer you should see something like press ?? for boot menu (mines F11), sometimes you have to go into the BIOS (only use this as a last resort) and change the boot settings from there by making CD first boot then the Harddrive second.

2. since your important files are on a different HD you will not lose anything just the stuff on your windows drive.

Ok, now I'm freaking out...

I remembered how to boot from the CD...I formated my HD and installed Windows...then, it restarts. I went to Setup again to revert boot selection (Floppy then HD). But when it's booting my HD I receive some error message saying "ta NTRD - Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart". The "ta" is wrong, but I can't see the rest of the word because my monitor is screwed, I can only see the end of that word (Maybe it's Cta? I have no idea).

I tried re-installing Windows a couple of times after that but I still get the same error. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to re-install my old XP again because, apparently, my WinLite is not working.

And I left those options in red alone, I only took out the stuff I knew I could. I don't understand what went wrong and what is this freaking NTRD message.

Help

do you use RAID? oh and can you upload your preset

P.S do you mean NTDLR or whatever

try putting HD at top instead of Floppy and make sure you have the correct HD if it lets you chose

Also check to see if you have a floppy in the floppy drive and remove it lol

Edited by legolash2o

RAID question dont matter then lol

Preset is a file called Last_session.ini it shows everything you did in nLite and should be on the disk, it tells us what you removed etc...

try another nLite session, get a fresh XP source and use that dont use the one you just made

Edited by legolash2o