SQL Server 2005 error

Unr3a1

I am running a tax management software that uses SQL Server 2005 for its databases. I am erratically getting this error when I try to run the program:

OLE IDispatch exception code 0 from Microsoft SQL Native Client TCP Provider: Timeout Error [258].

I am also seeing this error erratically as well:

OLE IDispatch exception code 0 from Microsoft SQL Native Client: Shared Memory Provider: Timeout error [258].

When I click the ignore button for either of these errors, I see this error:

From ABODB Recordset: The connection cannot be used to perform this operation. It is either closed or invalid in this context.

After clicking the ignore button again, the error goes away and the tax program crashes. After all this, when I try to load the program, it loads fine. I do not, however, get these errors everytime I try to load the program. Some days I never see an error, other days, I get the error whenever I leave the computer for longer than an hour. I thought that maybe it was because I was not giving enough time for SQL server to start before running the program, but again, if I leave the computer for too long, the error may or may not happen. The only other thing I can think of is that it is Norton Anti-Virus conflicting with SQL Browser at startup when Norton checks for updates. Is this a possibility, or am I way off base here? Thanks.

I deal with SQL Server 2000 and 2005 Express, Standard and Enterprise Editions at work and Norton is poison to them. Use the latest Norton Removal Tool on it.

Is the database on another computer? Same PC?

Thank you for your reply. The database is on the same PC. There is only one user in the office, so there is no need for a server. So the latest version of Norton's product does not conflict with SQL Server? This PC is running Norton Internet Security 2006 version 10.0.3.3. The decision to upgrade to the latest version of Norton is not up to me. You say that Norton is poison to SQL Server; what exactly do you mean by this? If Norton cannot be updated, is it possible that in the future, Norton could cause problems to the data? Could Norton's firewall be causing this?

Edited by Unr3a1

It's most likely that Norton is blocking the connection to the database. Make sure that you've set the proper port to be open in the Firewall configuration

However, I'd have to agree with Jeremy that Norton isn't really a great choice for security. It actually lacks in that department more often than not. If you want a good solution for your work, get Avast Pro ($40/1yr, $60/2yrs) for your anti-virus and Comodo Personal Firewall (free) for your firewall. I find Comodo much easier to setup, and it's a much better firewall overall.

I would highly recommend that you switch out Norton for something else the next time your subscription expires.

It's most likely that Norton is blocking the connection to the database. Make sure that you've set the proper port to be open in the Firewall configuration

But would Norton only block the connection to the database one time? I mean, if the computer is turned on, and left alone for a half hour, the tax program connects to the database fine. But if the user tries to run the tax program within 10 minutes of booting up the computer, then the connection to the database times out. What would cause Norton to block the connection only within the first 10 minutes of the machine being turned on?