Install Win98 on a CF card - Q: Minimize Disk Access & Caches

BPoller

Hi there :hello: ,

i just joined this site, because i have started some new own Win98SE-Projects.

My project for today is getting my VIA-800MHz ThinClient (with 512MB SDRAM and 4xUSB2.0+2xUSB1.1) a Win98SE on CF Card.

I tested a normal Win98SE install with a 2.5" HDD and it worked. Lucky to have a ThinClient with normal AWARD BIOS.

But to minimize sound (without HDD, there is NO sound, totally fanless) and the power needed, i wish to put a Win98SE Install on one of my used 512MB CF-2-IDE-Cards.

First have to say: I would install all Software needed on a HDD and finally copy the data to the CF Card, cause i know, there are limits in write access (in the 100.000 or millions, depending on the date of manufactoring and type).

So there are 2 ways for me:

----------------------------

1.) If i could stop any write access, it would be possible to use the complete RAM. With that version, i would install a Win98 SE Third Edition XP-Look-alike (incl. unofficial ServicePack, Revolution Pack 7 and self-made german 982ME, and...). As far as i found, there is a complicated way to have ONLY the REGISTRY in a RAMDISK (someone mentioned a english translated article of the german ct magazin with Win98 on CDROM here in the forum).

or

2.) I have a selfmade embedded Win98SE on a CF Card which boots itself from a RAMDISK (so it must be smaller, leaving enough memory for the system). I planned a Boot-Menue, so u could boot from CF card to install new software and after reboot, the standard boot option would copy that install into RAM-DISK and boot from there. Before i found the Revolution Pack 7 to support german, i preferred that way ;)

But also there, i would like to minimize write access and especially caches (cause all is in RAMDISK).

I would do the following things so far:

Unneccessary Disk Access

---------------------------

- Disable PageMapping

- Disable Caches of Browsers and other programs

- Disable Temp Directories of Browsers

- Disable Recycling Bin (waste box or what its called in ur version)

Unneccessary Memory Usage

-----------------------------

- Test which caches in memory are unnessarry or to big with a RAM-DISK Win98SE

Slimfast my Win98SE

--------------------------

- First blow it up with all new patches, 982ME, Java

- then set it on diet with 98Lite full version (i would buy, cause all Minimize sites i found dont work with german version),

i would stay with IE 6SP1 so far, because the german unofficial SP supports actual Patches (July 2007), but could change to opera.

TARGETS:

-----------

I would like to use that ;) FormerThinClient ;) for surfing, downloading, even as juke-box. It only needs about 24 watt.

All files (downloads, music or so) would be saved on USB 2.0 Stick (the faster ones with high write/read access).

QUESTION:

=======

Any tips for stopping "unneccessary" DiskAccess?

Memory Usage?

Manually SlimFast Win98SE?

Is there a tool, which records all disk access made by the system (i could optimize access before installing on CF card) ?

Whats the difference between drvspave and dblspace (because i would compress the RAM-DISK)? Which one is newer or better?

THANKS for reading so far and maybe u have a tip or be interested know (a car pc would be almost the same).

Stay tuned,

Bjoern

P.S.: Anyone german, austrian, german-talking swiss there? Some tools are needed in the german version. Maybe we could share our experiences.

I guess you could also build a win98 completely (or quite) READ ONLY.

Only things that actually need to be writtten is the Registry, applications settings and temporary files, (the latter two are no problem if you use a RAMDISK for them).

There was a Registry Re-director by Qualystem, (not available anymore), recently a German member of boot-land found a similar FREEWARE tool:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/Setting-Re...ctor-t2293.html

Since you are German talking, you should have no problem in understanding "directly" it's use.

Do check the "Winimize" forum:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/Winimize-f53.html

And the original thread on 911CD, where some more links and ideas are given:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...mp;hl=qualystem

You might also want to consider the possibility of using grub4dos to mount a disk image as read only, this will effectively avoid any writes:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/Grub4Dos-t14.html

jaclaz