Building a home server.

Hi,

does anyone know how to build a home server, i have been reading about people using old computers and turning them into "home Servers". i have some old computers that i dont use and all i want to with my server is to be able to install all my programs on to it so every one can access them, have everyones docements on the server instead of the computer and (someone said somthing about this on the internet, dont know if it is true) when they logon to the computer, it actually logs onto the server(something about the user accounts are on the server and not the computer).

if any one can help, please do,

which OS do i use,

all my other computers are running windows xp pro, i have 4 of them

how do it set up, by the way i am not a big linux fan so linux servers i cannot do.

any information is greatfuly help ful,

:thumbup thanks for every think. :thumbup

I guess you're talking about a client that can access the server and use the applications installed on the server right?

If you go in a straight forward way, I think what you're talking about is a thin-client network or some thing like that.

Google "thin client" about it and you might find useful pages about it.

A not recommended way is to use a terminal server patch or somthing like that that will enable multiple remote desktop connections instead of one connections on an WinXP Pro computer. I hope you know, but usually when you use a remote desktop, and connect to a WinXPPro machine, the other user who is using the computer at that time, regardless of local user or remote user, will get kicked out. A patch like above will let you connect up to about 3 users at once without others being kicked out.

If you wanna do the above patch method, you might want to get a good machine and install all those apps that you use on that server computer.

FYI, Be warned that the above patch method will not be good for security and multiple uses of a software at one time by many people will not get software makers happy, likely, a violation of the eula stuff.

If you just want to have your old computer be a file server, then just make a shared folder on the server and redirect the my documents folders by editing the registry or by right-clicking the My Documents folder and redirecting it to the srver shared folder. You can also redirect the local settings, application data folders etc on to the server by only using the Winxp Pro comp on the server. (This i've done this long time ago...)

Or just get a Windows Server 2003 OS and it'll do the job. I donno about the new Windows Home Server if it can do the above stuff though.

Good Luck on it!

If you want to shell out a LOT of money, you could but Windows Server 2003. You can (I think) install apps on the server and let users access them remotely, of course you can have docs on the server and access them from other computers. As for logging in to the server, well, by that I think you mean Active Directory. google it. Basially, the account info is stored on the server and other computers log in to the server. You'll need to install active directory on the server, and join all the other computers to the domain. They must be running a professional edition of the OS, i.e. Windows XP Pro or Vista Business or 2000 pro. No XP home. I'm no AD expert, but some of our members are. (cough*cluberti*cough*knows*cough*everything*cough*about*cough*windows*cough*server*cough)

Just so you know, Windows Server will cost you a lot. As in many hundreds of dollars. Any version should work I think except web server, which doesn't support AD.

Thanks guys for the very quick response,

yes vel straty, if i install all apps on the server( like office, nero, games etc) would i be able to acces them from any one of my computers.

i have heard about active directory, but does any one know how to set it up? also my friend has let me borrow his copy of windows 2000 server, is this any good.

thanks again guys for every think

IMHO the whole notion of a "Home Server" is wrong.

If youre like most of my family and friends, all you need is a stable machine that can run on its own for months and every user and every computer (in your home network) can access it, thats all. You don't need IIS etc stuff that comes with 'real' server like Windows 2003 Server.

This is my typical 'server' at my home network:

Just a plain Windows 2000.

All home users have been added and have access to its 2x300GB hard drives (old 6GB hdd with Windows on it is not shared of course) and even some of my friends - few are *overseas* - can access it too. I often access it from remote computers and my PocketPC Phone too. It runs uTorrent with remote administration enabled, so everyone can remotely add new torrents to its cue (finished downloads are moved to one of the shared directories) and we dont have to all fight for bandwidth at home ;)

It also runs NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing for the convenience of remotely administering it (similarily as you would with VNC if youre not familiar with NM RDS). For the purpose of using NM RDS few selected users (only those who know *a bit* about computers) have been elevated to Administrator status on this machine (there is also another reason important reason for that, but its not related to the subject).

Basically thats it. A W2K with its NM RDS and properly configured user accounts on the system, thats all whats needed.

For the purpose of streaming videos and music to our cellphones I had some other stuff there, but since I switched to using PocketPCs only as my cellphone few years ago, and everyone else basically use smartphones or PPCs too or they don't need to stream the stuff there is no other stuff running there now (but if your machine has i.e. newer or older ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon video card, it can records tv series etc of off tv, and it is possible to stream the recorded stuff within home network or outside the firewall/router too if needed)

So anyways, unless you need to run a webserver, mailserv, IIS or such - you don't really need any "real server" on a typical home network.

Just my 0.02 to discussion :)