http download from a batch script?

Sfor

I was using FTP to download some files from batch scripts, so far. But, recently I encountered a problem. Some files are available through HTTP, only.

I'm trying to create a new script able to download files using HTTP, this time. But, I do not know what to start from. I can start an URL using START command. But, it will display a dialog asking what folder the file should be saved in. So, I need to find a way to download a file without the confirmation dialog and I need it to be saved in a particular place.

The VBS script can be a solution, as well, I think. But, I do not have a skill in the VBS programming.

The WGET seems to be a solution, as well. It is within my batch programming skill, also.

I'll look in to the WGET a bit closer.

What can I say? To put it simply, WGET works as expected. The only downside is, it is not a part of the Windows OS, so I have to keep the EXE with the script. In my particular case it is not a problem. However it can be a problem in some other cases.

I'm satisfied with the current solution, for now.

Using VBS with w98 native components is perfect for text file download, for example, when you need to extract text or numerical informations. It works also with binary files, such as picture but I wouldn't rely on it for downloading exe files. I can work with exe files but there is a level of uncertainty about that.

There is a free component on JSWare to handle downloads with VBS, it's very good.

If you are confortable with .bat, use it of course.

One last thing: Only through VBS I know a method to launch a batch file or a cmd line in invisible mode.