ATI TV-out (s-vid) refresh rate - only 29i hz or 30i hz

unknownsoldierX

My card is an X800 AIW. I have tried installing different versions of the ATI driver packs, using Driver Cleaner between each install. No matter what resolution I choose for the TV, I only have those two refresh rate choices.

My TV has no problems on XP. The hardware connections are fine.

ATI Catalyst Control Center shows my TV as having a maximum refresh rate of 60 hz.

I realize that 30i hz is supposed to be the same as 60 hz, but video on my TV has a noticeable stutter. It is awful trying to watch a movie like this.

To clarify...

On one page, it tells me that the max refresh rate is 60 hz....

settinght4.th.jpg

When I try to change the refresh rate, it only gives me these (interlaced?) options...

dispmanag8.th.jpg

Edited by unknownsoldierX

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem here. The picture doesn't seem as bad for me, but it's not as clear as it was in MCE2005. Is this supposed to function this way? If not, is it an ATI-only issue, or is it a Vista thing? I'm using a Radeon 9800 Pro with the latest CCC and drivers

Edited by bassoprofundo

im on vista with a x1900 xtx 512mb and the latest ati catalyst 7.7 . Im having the same problem but the picture isnt that bad for me, I think its a vista problem because I didnt have this problem with XP and older drivers ...

I have suspected for a while now that this is a bug with Vista. Searching the net, I have found reported cases from both ATI and nVidia users.

The ATI tech support guy, after investigating my problem, suspected the same thing. He said that they (ATI) are just starting to get reports of this problem from customers using Vista.

One major detail of this problem, is that it only affects Extended Desktop Mode. If you use Clone Mode, the refresh rate is fine.

Uncheck the "Use Extended display Identification"

Then it's unlocked but your monitor or tv may not support what you choose.

I was freaking cause I couldn't get 1152x864 to work, until I unchecked that box.

Also MAKE SURE you have the proper driver for your display, very important.

vista2007055ge9.th.gif

unknownsoldierX,

I'm using the TV as the only monitor to the system, so I don't even get a choice between Clone or Extended Desktop. The S-video cable is the only thing plugged into my video card.

kartel,

You don't get the option you mentioned when you are using a TV. It's a different set of properties than when you have a regular monitor.