XP Install Clean or Upgrade?

angel

I am running Windows 98 that was on my computer when I purchased it new (off brand because a local company built it for me). However, I do not have the Win98 CD as it was already installed on my computer.

Can I do a clean install? I do have a Laptop that I purchased that came with the reinstall Win98 CD. I did purchase both copies of Win98, but just don't have the original CD for the desktop computer(I'm not sure why, I just never realized until now I didn't have it.)

I tried to do the upgrade two days ago, but my starband internet, Norton System works and Outlook would not work. When I tried to supply the CD and reinstall, it wouldn't let me because it first had to uninstall.Everytime I tried to uninstall to reinstall, I kept getting missing files error messages. So I just uninstalled XP.

I really want XP to work. What should I do?

Uninstall OFFICE, Starband Internet software and NOrton, and then try to reinstall them after the upgrade?

Or do a clean install? And if I need the CD will the CD from my Dell computer work?

Sharon

Well inorder to get a smoothly running Xp on your system, i would format the harddrive and reinstall Xp on the drive. To do this pop in a 98 start up disk and restart your hard drive, you will then get the options to start your computer with or with out cd support, choose without. at the prompt type "format c:"(without the "") wipe the drive, when it asks you for a "volume" just hit enter. Restart the comp without the 98 disk but put the Xp cd in , hit delete and get into your bios ..and make you cd drive boot first. If you cannot make you cd drive bootable, get these boot disks for XP http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q310/9/94.ASP

Once you get into the Xp setup,follow the instructions and when it asks you where to install the Os pick your C: drive, then choose to format the drive in NTFS(Dont to the quick one) After that just continue to follow the onscreen directions..and you will be all set.

goodluck

:beer

-drew

yes i would also do a clean install... the XP cd should be bootable... as was said ... and any windows product cd should work to verify that you have a previous version...or take a look at this...

http://209.217.52.178/howto/setuppini.html

here is something else... a guide on how to make your xp cd bootable

http://www.geocities.com/bootablecds

good luck!

Edited by ADMIN.....Please read the forums rules, no active links[/color:49c71c1d63]

well ok.... thanks for the info...

dunno if you saw my comments, but i say thanks for the info... ans i apologize... but i would like to ask one question.... why can't we use an active link? either way you still get to the site...and having the direct and active link makes it quite easy!

dunno if you saw my comments, but i say thanks for the info... ans i apologize... but i would like to ask one question.... why can't we use an active link? either way you still get to the site...and having the direct and active link makes it quite easy! [/quote:5d34801603]

When you click on an active link, the server of the particular page you are going to logs the site it was directed form...Since we offer not so leagal advise (at times) certian corperations can get wind of our board, and shut us down. So plz no active links unless its to your own personal parge or to another thread on the forum

Thankx

-drew

Thanks drew for answering that. I hope you understand EcPercy. Not only some advice or link we offer are a little bit under legit but its also a private sever we use for this board. We tend to keep him safe and keep the board going. Kinda makes you wounder why so many boards have come and go in the past few months, because we have rules that may seem stricked but its all for a reason in the end.

[b:80d1933f2c]angel[/b:80d1933f2c] - did drew help or help you understand what you need to do? If not let me know and i can take you step by step doing a new freash install

-XPerties

Drew

Thanks for the instructions. I think I can follow them as long as there are no other options that appear unexpectedly.

Drew or XPerties--

One question--Why can't I just select clean install since I understand that it completely wipes out all your files, but allows you to transfer files and settings? Is formatting better?

Half of what I read says format and the other half says a clean install. I am sitting here reading the Complete Reference to Windows XP, but they haven't given enough details on installation. What's the difference?

Thanks for you quick responses.

angel

Well let me try to explain this the best I can so you can understand it...

When you do a clean install during the XP install what it does is put your main startup install files on c: then allows you to choose the drive you want to install, then it formats that drive. The promblem is if you are only running one OS then it will format the install files which are on c: thus making the install very complicated and impossible. Its more for if you choose to dual boot with 2 OS.

Now the best thing to do is make sure in your bios you have it set up to boot from your cd-rom first. The with a 98 startup disk boot your computer to the dos prompt. Format drive c: and then reboot with the XP disk in the cd-rom. It will start the install promptly. I hope that gives you a better understanding between the 2.

-XPerties

BTW...There really the same thing, both are clean installes...its just how you do it.

XPerties--

Yes that makes sense. I just kinda wanted to use the file transfer to move all my music files. I can move them through Direct Cable Connection to my Laptop though if I need to format.

I guess I am a little skeptical because I haven't had a successful upgrade since 3.1 to Win95 and I remember uninstalling Win95 once too. Win98 came on my newest computer.

Also, I am a Starband Satellite member. They do not support XP yet(pooh on them), and so if it doesn't work, I have no Internet service. However, they do support 2000.

I plan on gathering all the info I can and then trying to install XP this coming weekend.

Thanks again.

angel

You might go to www.dslreports.com and check there forums out and look around. They might be able to give you info on your internet provider and tricks to making it work, if they even have any issues with XP. Just to make you feel at eas, XP has been by far the easiest upgrade I have ever done since DOS to 3.1. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else....BTW....Welcome aboard

-XPerties

Well now that i think about it, the Xp set up does offer to format the drive, so i guess you dont have to really format it in DOS. Just pop in the Xp cd and do a fresh clean install. Yo will get the option to format the drive in NTFS, do so and i think you will be all set. I gave you the other directions..becasue thats how i have done it forever...since windows 3.1. If anyone has any objections..let me know, i have never done straight out of 98.

-drew

Drew,

Thanks for rethinking that. It would be much easier if it works that way. I am still gathering info, so let me know if you find out anymore on the subject.

I am still trying to locate someone from the newsgroups at Starband that has been successful using XP with Starband (my Satellite Internet service who does not yet support XP--who knows what people with NEW computers are suppose to do).

Thanks,

angel