Admin password not staying blank

wireman121

I have my XP CD (among other things) checked on "blank password" for administrator, but durign the actual installation, when it shows the screen for computer name, and administrator password it has 1 character in each password, and confirm password boxes. I always clear it out anyway, but I am just wondering if i have it checked for blank password in nlite, why does it still put 1 character in the box during setup?

just check your winnt.sif (using notepad) in your I386 folder to see whats been entered.

On mine it like;

AdminPassword=then whatever password it entered, i think it should either be just ""

i think it puts a character in it so nLite knows you want a blank password when it comes to created the WINNT.SIF which is needed for unattended installs

Edited by legolash2o

its a * just FYI

im not sure why it does that, but ive made like 6 versions of my disk now. the first several did it, however the last 2 did not. not overly sure why. make sure on that page where you set up the account you clear it and check the box for not requiring a password.

It is properly set to * for blank but if you select Unattended Mode to Prompt Defaults then you'll get such confusing result.

So either choose Hide Defaults (or Fully Automated) mode or don't select blank pass checkbox, just leave it empty and keep on using the same mode as before.