how to use resedit or reshack to change icons

:hello:

does anybody know how to use resedit to change icons in shell32.dll or any site dealing with this.

there's a lot of things in resedit which i dont understand. to change the icons whether i would have to change the individual icons or the icongroups.

please help :unsure::unsure:

i would be greatful for your help

Edited by abbhishek

I use reshacker.

You can't change individual icons in the icon section. You have to change icons in the icongroup section. That's because a single .ico file contains many icons in it, i.e. it is an icon group.

So, in a sense the icon group section lists all the .ico files; whereas, the icon section shows all of the icons in the icon groups, but not in groups. It's sort of meaningless to even look in the icon section.

As far as changing, it should not be too difficult. Just look for the icongroup you want to replace and replace it. Do not delete it and add it. Replace it or update it. This will preserve the number and language (1033).

Edited by spacesurfer

thanks spacesurfer :thumbup for ur help but when i am replacing an icongroup with an .ico file i am not able to replace it or update it.the replace option is blurred. how can this be done?

in reshack i'm getting an eroor message "out of system resource" :wacko: and if i ignore it and save the file no changes are occuring the same old icon reappears

i am attaching the screenshot

post-143900-1184045947_thumb.jpg

please help...

Edited by abbhishek

thanks spacesurfer :thumbup for ur help but when i am replacing an icongroup with an .ico file i am not able to replace it or update it.the replace option is blurred. how can this be done?

in reshack i'm getting an eroor message "out of system resource" :wacko: and if i ignore it and save the file no changes are occuring the same old icon reappears

i am attaching the screenshot

post-143900-1184045947_thumb.jpg

please help...

afaik, that is caused by using icons that include vistas compressed 256x256 format.

open it up in icon workshop, remove the 256x256 format, save the icon and try again

• 3 weeks later...

When I open Res Hack with certain DLL or certain branches (more specifically) in the Icon Group section , I get "Access is Denied". I hit ok and it lets me see the group with no problems.. haven't tried overwriting any of them. Any ideas?

I was changing a resource image on a system32\imageres.dll successfully, however, the windows icons on my desktop and in explorer dialogs (ie. the folders and such) do not show up correctly now. That is ultimately what I am trying to fix.

Are you trying to modify your dll's online? you can't modify files that are in use by the system. you have to copy that file to another location, modify, then replace the original offline.

Once you make the changes, then you need to use tweakui to repair the icons for changes to take place (for XP).

In Vista, changes should take place automatically.