[solved with vLite 1.0 Final] WINDOWS_WCP_OTHER_FAILURE2

MagicAndre1981

Hi nuhi,

I got the error with my DVD made with vLite 1.0 RC when I try to install or uninstall a Windows component through Control Panel in Vista.

Here is the error message from Problem Reports and Solutions:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: WINDOWS_WCP_OTHER_FAILURE2
OsVersion: 6.0.6000
File: base\wcp\sil\merged\ntu\ntsystem.cpp
Function: Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::DirectFileSystemProvider::SysCreateFile
Line: 1461
Betriebsystemversion: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Gebietsschema-ID: 1031

Here is my INI-file:

; vLite preset file

[Information]
Version = 1.0 RC on 2.0.50727.879 Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Target = Windows Vista ULTIMATE 32bit

[Compatibility]
ACDSee / XnView
KMPlayer
Paint.NET
Aero Glas
Internet Explorer
Windows SAT

[Components]
;# Dienste #
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Microsoft DFS Abgleich
Remote-Registrierung
Volume-Schattenkopie
Windows Remote Management
;# Hardware Unterstützung #
Faxunterstützung
Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI)
Smartcards
;# Multimedia #
Movie und DVD Maker
SideShow
;# Netzwerk #
Mit Netzwerkprojektor verbinden
MSN Installer
Windows Teamarbeit
;# Sprachen #
Japanisch
Koreanisch
Traditionelles Chinesisch
Vereinfachtes Chinesisch
;# System #
Jugendfreigabe
Natürliche Sprache
Sicherheitscenter
Synchronisierungscenter
Systemwiederherstellung
Tablet PC
Tool zum Entfernen bösartiger Software
Windows Backup
Windows Defender
ZIP-Ordner
;# Treiber #
Drucker-Apollo
Drucker-Brother
Drucker-Canon
Drucker-Citizen
Drucker-Dell
Drucker-Diconix
Drucker-Epson
Drucker-Fuji Xerox
Drucker-Fujitsu
Drucker-Generic
Drucker-Gestetner
Drucker-HP
Drucker-IBM
Drucker-Infotec
Drucker-Konica
Drucker-Konica Minolta
Drucker-Kyocera Mita
Drucker-Lanier
Drucker-Lexmark
Drucker-Minolta
Drucker-Minolta-QMS
Drucker-NEC
Drucker-NRG
Drucker-Oce
Drucker-Oki
Drucker-Okidata
Drucker-Olivetti
Drucker-Panasonic
Drucker-QMS
Drucker-Ricoh
Drucker-Samsung
Drucker-Savin
Drucker-Seikosha
Drucker-Sharp
Drucker-Sony
Drucker-Star
Drucker-Tally
Drucker-Tektronix
Drucker-Wipro ePeripherals
Drucker-Xerox
Scanner
;# Zubehör #
Eingabehilfen
Mobility Center
Snipping Tool
Sprachunterstützung

[Options]
Speichervoraussetzung = 256MB

[Protection]

[Drivers]

[Unattended]
SpecRegional
AcceptEULA
SkipProductKey
SkipAutoActivation
NetworkLoc = 1
ProtectPC = 2

Any ideas what causes this issue?

André

Edited by MagicAndre1981

no. I thinks it's a problem with some integrated hotfixes. I did it the same way like with XP. First I've integrated all my fixes with the tools from the WAIK. Now I started vLite and remove the things you see in the INI-file.

I checked the cbs.log and found that the WCP wants to read a file from a hotfix for SideShow, but I removed it with vLite. So the WCP fails to deinstall or install a new Windows Component. I tried to delete the keys from the hotfix in the registry, but this doesn't work :(

I have to check my updates first and must leave fixes out for components that I'm going to remove.

Aha I see. I believe you're right. That's why we had issues when Winsxs folder was cleaned. This is the same issue only selective in nature.

Let me know what you find out, I'll see about cleaning the integrated hotfixes from the removed files...but I doubt that. Maybe the solution is in leaving the components in the cache but I would hate that, it could exist only as optional.

I tried to remove the entires from the registry but I still got an error. The progressbar runs to the end and then a MessageBox pops up. But the confusing thing is, that cbs.log doesn't show an error. Do you know all places where Vista reads to get infos about the packages?

I'm surprised (but kind of impressed?) that nuhi would even try to support removal with vLite after hotfix integration.

I never considered updating before removal but there are so many variables that I prefer to update after anyway. You would want nLite/vLite to support service packs (when they come out) so you can update your installation source once and use that image over and over in vLite. With hotfixes, they come out so often that you would probably update the hotfixes more than the vLite image! ...once nuhi stops adding new features to vLite anyway ;)

Therefore, I keep the output from vLite safe* and integrate hotfixes into a copy of that image. When scripted it's no hassle and takes less than 10 minutes.

*I actually have the original image stored in the same wim as the hotfixed image. This way it takes up virtually no space as it only adds ~15MB to the size of the wim.

Well that way of doing things, update then configure, is more logical because then the added/updated files and registry entries will be deleted if needed, hotfix won't be firing on an empty place and maybe even leaving the new file which should have been removed.

Obviously vLite is breaking those pending integrated hotfix packages since they are working if integrated later (meaning it's not the missing files)...can't wait to find out why.

Well that way of doing things, update then configure, is more logical because then the added/updated files and registry entries will be deleted if needed, hotfix won't be firing on an empty place and maybe even leaving the new file which should have been removed.

I can definitely see an advantage for say, adding WMP hotfixes when you only keep the codecs - that way any extra files for the player get removed too.

So vLite officially supports this method then? I really didn't expect vLite to account for the differences that future hotfixes may introduce - although now I think about it, that information will be recorded in the installation and I guess vLite reads that info just as it does for a regular installation to find out what components are available...

Hmm... I'll have to try this as I'm interested to see what space savings can be gained with this method.

Obviously vLite is breaking those pending integrated hotfix packages since they are working if integrated later (meaning it's not the missing files)...can't wait to find out why.

I look forward to seeing this fix in the changelog as I'm sure there are others who did not realise this was supported. :)

Jamie

(Had to test this...) I exported two ultimate images from the original source wim and tried applying hotfixes before and after vLite. The hotfixes I applied were all the system updates (no languages etc) offered from Windows Update for the vLited image except for MRT. I also added Hold 'em, XPS Standalone Viewer, HLP viewer and WUSA update.

Size increase from applying hotfixes

2,163,015,542   Original Vista Ultimate
2,218,518,208 Ultimate + hotfixes
-------------
55,502,666 = 52.93 MB
-------------

565,244,937 vLited Ultimate Image
623,685,049 vLited + hotfixes
-------------
58,440,112 = 55.73 MB
-------------

Notice above, the size increase gained by applying hotfixes to the vLited image is almost 3MB greater than from applying to the original image - which seems to indicate that some of the difference shown below is due to replacing files that have just been removed by vLite.

Size difference of each final image

623,685,049   Ultimate ->  vLite   -> hotfixes
617,390,695 Ultimate -> hotfixes -> vLite
-------------
6,294,354 = 6.00 MB (11.34% of original hotfix increase)
-------------

Not a huge difference but enough to show that vLite is doing some nice cleaning up after applying hotfixes. :)