Slipping sp4 rollup 1 ver 2 to Win2K sp4 - which way?

mikesw

I've slipped my Win2kSp1 pro to Win2KSp4. Now I want to slip the rollup 1 version 2 into the

Win2KSp4 CD. Here is what I did.

a) Used Nlite 1.4beta and after slipping Sp4 by selecting the service pack menu option I exited the prog.

b ) I then slipped the sp4 rollup 1 version 2 by using nlite 1.4beta by selecting the service pack menu option.

It slipped in without complaning. However, is this really to be treated as a service pack since it really

is an update to SP4?

c). Started over with clean Win2kSp1 pro and slipped in Sp4.

d). Slipped in the sp4 rollup 1 version 2 as a hotfix/update. However, I got this error message

H-The file 'C:ZRMPOEM_EN\dnsapi.dll' already exists.

Please report this error if it's unexpected.

Write your message in English and attach your "Last Session.ini' if possible.

e). I hit OK and it continued on to the finish.

So my question is, for sp4 rollup 1 version 2, should I treat it as a servicepack or use the hotfix/update

menu item? If the hotfix/update menu item, can I ignore this message and has the original file really

been updated to the new one from the rollup? In this case "dnsapi.dll".

Here's more info for trying to build an updated Win2K PRO x32 CD

a ) I started over again and slipped Sp4 into Win2KSp1 ...no problem.

b ) I then started integrating all the hotfix/updates for Win2k starting with 11/2003 thru 6/2007 excluding

rollup 1 v2

c ). I did this in one year increments and by sorting based on the KB number from lowest to highest since the

build date has different formats and could cause the KB numbers to be out of order. Each year was done after

the previous one completed so that I could narrow down the year that is causing the problem.

d). After updating to FY'2007 I then went back to integrate the rollup 1 v2 KB891861 to see if any problems occur.

Here are the results

1). FY'2003 KB files integrated ok (total of 8 files)

2). FY'2004 KB828741 complained about duplicate "es.dll" and KB839645 complained about a dup too.

When a list of KB files is being integrated and it pops up with an error about a dupe file and I

hit OK, it finalizes the CD, but stops processing the remaining files to be integrated. The problem

filenames also don't show up in .\I386\SVCPACK directory of the OS being integrated. Thus,

exited NLITE1.4beta and re-entered and started with the list of files after the problem file. All OK.

(total of 19 files)

3). FY'2005 KB900046 bombs due to dup file "agentdpv.dll". When I exited and and re-entered NLITE1.4beta

and reselected all files for FY'2005 this problem KB file didn't complain anymore. (total of 31 files)

4). FY'2006, no problems integrating. (total of 29 files)

FY'2007 no problems integrating. (total of 12 files)

5). Tried to go back and integrate SP4 rollup 1 version 2 KB891861 and got further than the previous dup file

mentioned in previous post but NLITE1.4Beta bombed out around "mstext40.dll" whereby NLITE complained

it had to exit and when OK hit the whole program aborted. (not due to a dupe file). Hey! I almost made it

to the letter "z" filename.....

How does one capture the text file that is dumped if one selects the details to see why it aborted? Is this

file sent automatically to you for analysis?

6). Conclusion, the duping of filenames seems to be random since one can reintegrate the KB file that had the

dupe file with others later KB's complaining. Doesn't appear to be related to the total number of

files being integrated at the same time. The abort is unknown.

Probably got a memory leak somewhere although I have 1GIG of memory on the laptop that I'm using

with WinxP PRO Sp2 and all the latest fixes to date. 7/1/2007 so this shouldn't be the problem and

all the .NET versions with the latest Service packs v1.1, v2.0, v3.0.

I'll probably go back to the previous release to try that one out.

NOTE: I'm only integrating, I haven't tweaked or removed components etc using NLITE1.4beta.

Nothing fancy!!! :whistle:

Edited by mikesw

Not really an answer to your problem, but if you're trying to create a more up to date W2K install media you may wish to use the Hotstream project.

From RyanVM's tracker, download via BitTorrent the Unofficial Windows 2000 Service Pack 5.1.2195.24 Refresh, you will just need the actual service pack [w2ksp51.exe] from the .zip file.

If you want a fully up to date install media then this topic may be of help.