Gameux.dll

cmc5788

I got Vista working with vLite, but unfortunately I removed Game Explorer from the ISO before I realized that I needed to add gameux.dll to the protected file list. Is there any way to restore this without completely reinstalling the OS? Any way to extract it from the original install CD manually? If not, is there ANY other way to acquire a copy of gameux.dll or at the very least disable the annoying popup every time I run games like World of Warcraft and Steam?

Thanks.

Edited by cmc5788

I was using RC, not beta. However, the problem can be solved by acquiring a copy of gameux.dll and installing it with regsvr32. After that, no more issues. If you can't find someone to send you a copy of the .dll, you can always do it the hard way and install WAIK, mount an unmodified install.wim from your Windows CD, and extract gameux.dll from it.

In response to nuhi specifically, though -- yes, this problem still occurs in RC if you choose to remove the Game Explorer component and run things like Steam, World of Warcraft, possibly others.

Not relating to the specific issue or anything, but future reference I suppose, it's actually an issue with MS Server 2008 B3 also, if you attempt to run a game, (Well, at least world of warcraft), results in a gameux.dll error, game still runs, just highly annoying

Edited by Tylius

Not relating to the specific issue or anything, but future reference I suppose, it's actually an issue with MS Server 2008 B3 also, if you attempt to run a game, (Well, at least world of warcraft), results in a gameux.dll error, game still runs, just highly annoying

Well you don't suppose that Microsoft actually bothers to maintain two distinct codebases for Vista and Server 2008... they are developing SP1 on Server 2008 and when it will be ready (as in 2008 RTM) they will just pull out the server stuff, add back the Vista files they removed when made the server, and that would be called "Vista SP1"... so I think that pretty much answers your question regarding gameux. Keeping the registry as unchanged as possible during the making of SP1 is their guarantee that you won't get BSoD on Vista after running a 1 gigabyte MSU file with the entire SP1 stuffed in there.

Note: that's the reason for DirectX 10 running perfectly the same on Server 2008, if you were to copy files for any component from Vista onto it, it would work just fine, because the "Core" is the same in both

Edited by dexter.inside