Windows 2000 Professional: HFSLIP integrates SP4, but no CDROMSP4.TST

Thilo

Hello together!

As far as I know, when manually integrating SP4 into a Windows 2000 Pro-SP3-CD, by entering "Update -s:E:\WinSource" or something like that, the MS-Tool automatically slipstreams not only the changed data, it also changes some files in the basic directory of those copied Windows-installation-CD-files.

is that normal in my case, or could there be something a little improved?

By the way: after copying original data from my W2K disk, HLFSLP maintains the data is not original, something should be changed... But I changed nothing...

Regards, Thilo

HFSLIP 1.5.0 only warns about an unclean source if it was patched with HFSLIP or with nLite before. HFSLIP can't work with such a source.

The fact that cdromsp4.tst is not in your SOURCE folder after running HFSLIP can only mean that the SP4 installer wasn't found. Make sure it has the original name (w2ksp4*.exe) and that it is located in the correct folder (HF).

there's one important question, maybe already answered at another place:

- what is better, an original Windows-Installation-CD with original SP?-CD, and to copy the whole CD on harddisk, and to let HPFSLP slip the newest SP into the installation? then it would be enough to copy the files into the "Source"-directory, and the SP? into the "HF" directoy, and then to start HPFSLP, when I read the manual the right way.

- or to decompress the newest SP into a directory, change into the update-folder, enter "update -s:(drive:)\directory", let slipstream the already and original copied files from CD-ROM, delete maybe the older CDROMSP?.TST-File to avoid errors (I tried that, without deleting CDROMSP3.TST, the CDROMSP4.TST existed in the main directory, too. HPFSLP had trouble with it, or I made something wrong (W2K-SP.exe is already in "HF")

regards,

Thilo

W2K-SP.exe is already in "HF"
That is the problem. As I said, its name should start with "w2ksp4".

Well, I looked into the "HF"-directory, the name of the SP-Update-File is "W2KSP4_DE.EXE", don't know if it should be "W2kSP4.EXE", because I've always slipstreamed my W2K-SP3-Files, original copied from CD-ROM, and not any change, with the update-tool contained within that W2kSp4_de.EXE-File...

And I thought that there's no need to pack the W2kSP4-File into the HF-directory when it's already slipstreamed into the W2k-installation-files on my harddisk?

After manual slipstreaming, there was a new file added into the main directory of those installation files, called "CDROMSP4.TST", but the "CDROMSP3.TST" was not removed.

When trying to to that, no "CDROMSP4.TST" was added, but the wrong filename could be the reason why.

By the way, is it better to let slipstream HFSLIP the SP-files, or manual prepare the slipstreaming, and then run HFSLIP?

I retried the HFSLIP-ping, but I got another error message I already got before, and will add a new thread for that, because that's another theme ;)

regards, Thilo

Well, I looked into the "HF"-directory, the name of the SP-Update-File is "W2KSP4_DE.EXE", don't know if it should be "W2kSP4.EXE", because I've always slipstreamed my W2K-SP3-Files, original copied from CD-ROM, and not any change, with the update-tool contained within that W2kSp4_de.EXE-File...
Du hast gesagt die Datei heisst W2K-SP.exe. W2KSP4_DE.EXE ist gut.
And I thought that there's no need to pack the W2kSP4-File into the HF-directory when it's already slipstreamed into the W2k-installation-files on my harddisk?
Wenn die Originalinstallationsverzeichnis (SOURCE) schon SP4 enthält, dann ist W2KSP4_DE.EXE nicht mehr in HF benötigt. Eigentlich darfst du W2KSP4_DE.EXE ruhig lassen weil HFSLIP erst nachguckt ob SP4 noch nicht angewendet war.
After manual slipstreaming, there was a new file added into the main directory of those installation files, called "CDROMSP4.TST", but the "CDROMSP3.TST" was not removed.

When trying to to that, no "CDROMSP4.TST" was added, but the wrong filename could be the reason why.

Das versteh ich nicht. Erst sagst du "CDROMSP4.TST" war hinzugefügt nachdem du SP4 manuell integriert hast, und dann sagst du diese Datei war nicht hinzugefügt. Also gibt's "CDROMSP4.TST" oder nicht?
By the way, is it better to let slipstream HFSLIP the SP-files, or manual prepare the slipstreaming, and then run HFSLIP?
Du hast die Wahl. Solange es "cdrom_nt.5" in das SOURCE-Verzeichnis gibt sollen sich keine Probleme vortun während der Installation (nachher).

Well, thanks for your German answer, Tomcat76... :thumbup

with my last comment, concerning CDROM?.TST, I meant the following:

- CDROMSP3.TST oder CDROMSP4.TST should tell the actual version of the servicepack.

- when manually slipstreaming SP4 onto/into my SP3-Windows 2000-Files, I meant by "update -s:Drive-letter:\directory", the MS-tool creates a CDROMSP4.TST, but CDROM3SP.TST still exists, was not deleted.

that was a little unclear, I meant, with HFSLIP, no "CDROMSP4.TST" was created, but the reason why it didn't work could be the wrong filename like I supposed...

look into the HFSLIP-script, the end of the first part doesn't matter:

IF EXIST HF\w2ksp4*.exe

But apparently, there was no CDROMSP4.TST created by that script, I just checked it with the name "w2ksp4_de.exe" instead "w2ksp4.exe", whose names are both included in the HFSLIP-script by wildcard.

Look here:

Datentraeger in Laufwerk H: ist TEST-DATEN
Volumeseriennummer: 4AF2-6843

Verzeichnis von H:\Windows\SOURCESS

08.07.2007 10:26 <DIR> .
08.07.2007 10:26 <DIR> ..
24.07.2002 14:00 <DIR> I386
24.07.2002 14:00 17.915 SPNOTES.HTM
24.07.2002 14:00 196.880 SETUP.EXE
24.07.2002 14:00 322.560 README.DOC
24.07.2002 14:00 19.253 READ1ST.TXT
24.07.2002 14:00 0 CDROMSP3.TST
24.07.2002 14:00 5 CDROM_NT.5
24.07.2002 14:00 5 CDROM_IP.5
24.07.2002 14:00 45 AUTORUN.INF
24.07.2002 14:00 <DIR> VALUEADD
24.07.2002 14:00 <DIR> SUPPORT
24.07.2002 14:00 <DIR> SETUPTXT
24.07.2002 14:00 <DIR> DISCOVER
24.07.2002 14:00 <DIR> BOOTDISK
08.07.2007 10:37 1.347 HFSLIP.LOG
08.07.2007 10:38 0 dir.txt
10 Datei(en) 558.010 Bytes
8 Verzeichnis(se), 3.487.227.904 Bytes frei

a fresh "directory exctract" out of my main directory...

Thilo

Edited by Thilo

- when manually slipstreaming SP4 onto/into my SP3-Windows 2000-Files, I meant by "update -s:Drive-letter:\directory", the MS-tool creates a CDROMSP4.TST, but CDROM3SP.TST still exists, was not deleted.
That's normal. Existing identifiers are not removed.
that was a little unclear, I meant, with HFSLIP, no "CDROMSP4.TST" was created, but the reason why it didn't work could be the wrong filename like I supposed...
CDROMSP3.TST is not wrong; it was created when SP3 was slipstreamed into the source.

If CDROMSP4.TST doesn't exist after letting HFSLIP handle the Service Pack, the Service Pack was not slipstreamed. You can also check this by looking for SP4.CAT inside SOURCE\I386. Are you actually letting HFSLIP continue after you get the warning message? Slipstreaming occurs after the warning message.

There is still another possibility: you don't have SOURCE\I386\PRODSPEC.INI or it contains wrong information. This file is used by HFSLIP to determine the OS version.

• 2 weeks later...

well, maybe I'll check for that problem another time, now I actually slipstreamed the sp4 files by the update-tool in the W2KSP4.exe-file, and then HFSLIP do the rest for another slipstreamings...

By the way: Is there a chance to change all head lines from "HPFSLP" into "HFSLIP"?

Thilo