Broken XP Install

razvannh

I was having some problems with my XP SP2 install so I decided to repair it with a XP SP2 CD.The problem was that I couldn't install the driver for my GMA950.

It went well, up to the point where it wanted me to point it to where the components of the driver were, said it couldn't find some files. No files were missing, that same driver kit was used for previous installs. Then it asked me if I want to continue or not, I opted NO and it went on with the repair.After a few minutes, it was hung.

Tried to restart the process by resetting the machine, it kept hanging like that. Tried to redo the repair all over again; this time it asked me if I want to UPGRADE (I was already doing an unsuccessful repair) and I continued it. When it got to the graphical part of the installer, it only showed me a cursor on a black screen.

Booting in safe mode gives me just a screen which says "safe mode" and nothing else seems to work.

I tried to remove all the drivers which were related to DaemonTools and such from BartPE, removed all the files of the Intel GMA950 driver and I also cleaned the registry entries of the other drivers.

My machine's specs: Pentium 4 Prescott, i945G chipset, GMA950 video driver

The hdd is ok, checked it and it has no bad sectors and the partition is ok.

I'm waiting for an advice regarding what should I do (except reinstalling, I can't do that as I don't have any means of backing up my data).

Thanks in advance

You could do what is commonly referred to as a parallel install, rename your windows directory to OLDWindows and then reinstall windows to the same drive but be sure to select WINDOWS as the install directory. Your data will still be intact and your applications will be there but need to be reinstalled so they have their hooks and dll's installed correctly.

Or go get yourself an external drive to back stuff up to. and use your bartpe cd to copy your data to it and reinstall.

...your applications will be there but need to be reinstalled so they have their hooks and dll's installed correctly.

You could just make a .BAT file to use "regsvr32 /<path\file.dll/ocx>" to update the system without reinstalling, couldn't you?