Hi from Techie2

oldtechie

:hello:

Hi.. My handle is Techie2. I stumbled onto this site by accident and surely am glad I did.

Have been messing with computers since 1981. CP/M was the system of choice. I think MS/DOS was somewhat an offshoot of CPM. All before WINDOWS.

The "PC" was not yet out. "Normal people" did not have computers. Built my first system from a kit. Hard drives were not affordable or compatible, that I know of. 5.25" floppy disk drives were about $500 each.. (Not joking!) If you had 64K of memory, you had a great system. Microprocessors were 8-bit hummers @ maybe 1-MHZ clock speed.. Yes, 1 Megahertz, not gigahertz.

Ok.. so much for the history lesson. :blink:

------

I repair PCs for friends and relatives for free. I am retired & spend a lot of hours in my shop with PCs & some electronic repairs. I have "extra" older PCs to use to try software you guys are developing here. The only downside is that they are a little slow. (like me) :rolleyes:

-----

I am here to learn more about unattended installs, auto-patching etc. So glad to see there is still interest in Windows 98SE, as well as the newer systems.

Have been playing with some of the software already.. Love it!! I had told my wife awhile back that I surely wish I had a way to update old Windows 98SE OFFLINE. I thought M$ had stopped allowing updates for Win_98 from their website when they quit supporting Win98 last June.

Realized just a few days ago that a newly installed systems can still be patched, but I like to do it offline. I have (most) of the patches saved to CD. And was doing the same with Win_2K and XP... It was becoming a big pain to try to keep up with all those patches. Then weed out the old outdated ones. Only recently discovered (Offline)auto-patching.. What a blessing!

-----

Thanks to you good folks who are working on these projects and for making them available for free. This is just too good to be true! :thumbup

How's that for an intro?

Cheers