Logon script that writes to registry

Memnoch: Hi good news; I took a harder look at the the domain settings today and found that the logon scripts worked great on users who didn't have a roaming profile.i wonder about that But the fact is they do work and thats what i cared about,the other things i can bring around.Whats more the scripts were able to work their magic even with these two settings enabled:

"Disable access to Registry editing tools" and

"Restrict access to explorer drives A, B and C"

Now i have to go and work-out a solution to backup the OE Rules to their home drives but thats another story,thanks for setting me in the right direction.

cheers! :)

Yeah, we've had to come up with some pretty creative stuff at work as well. We have a GPO that sets the security permissions to regedit.exe so that only Admins (and SYSTEM) have access. They did the same for net.exe. Using KiX (or a VBScript) worked like a charm. We've been using KiX as our logon script processor for YEARS though, so most of our stuff was already in place.

I don't do roaming profiles so I can't help you there...sorry.

BTW, it's probably going to be another couple of days before I can get you a copy of my script...but I haven't forgotten. :)

BTW, it's probably going to be another couple of days before I can get you a copy of my script...but I haven't forgotten. :)

That was me who made that request. And take your time, I am a patient person. You are doing me a favor after all. I am glad I was able to help -- kind of. Glad to see it resolved, and would also like to add my thanks since this resolved one of my problems. Small, and inconsequential currently, but preventative and helpful nonetheless.

Arigato Gozaimashi[ta]

~Brennen

Edited by Brennen

Thought i would post the script that i made for anyone who wants to use it

Here goes:

'SET_OE-STORE_Network.vbs - Change the OE Mail Store to M drive Outlook Express and open it in Explorer

strMbox = MsgBox("Is Outlook express configured on this system for mail?",4,"Outlook Express")

If strMbox = vbyes Then

OESub()

Else

wscript.quit

End If

Sub OESub()

MsgBox "This script will change your Outlook Express mail local system to your M: drive(Home Folder)."

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

OE_ID = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\Last User ID"

OE_ID2 = WshShell.RegRead(OE_ID)

OE_ID3 = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\" & OE_ID2 & "\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Store Root"

OE_ID7 = WshShell.RegRead(OE_ID3)

if OE_ID7 = "M:\Outlook Express" then

wscript.quit

else

'''' M drive refers to Home drive

WshShell.RegWrite OE_ID3 , "M:\Outlook Express", "REG_EXPAND_SZ"

StoreFolder = WshShell.RegRead(OE_ID3)

ShowFolder = "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe " & StoreFolder

WSHShell.Run ShowFolder

Set WshShell = Nothing

end sub

• 2 weeks later...
[That was me who made that request.

Woops...my bad. Too much going on... :huh:

I'll try to get it to you today.

I still haven't forgotten...I've just been busy!!

If I don't get to it tomorrow I'll definitely get to it this weekend. I'll probably just attach it to this thread...