Question on HFCLEANUP usage

Tomalak

Hello all,

I want to try out the HFCLEANUP feature. http://hfslip.org/advanced.html#a5 reads:

If using Windows XP, you need a modified SYSSETUP.DL_ and SFC_OS.DL_. You can obtain a modified SYSSETUP.DL_ by running nLite on a Windows XP source. Place all these files in the FIX folder. [...]

These sentences do confuse me a little bit: can I get the second file (SFC_OS.DL_) from the nLite run also? But why is not mentioned then? Or is SFC_OS.DL_ not needed, in contrary to the first statement? Additionally, "place all files" instead of "place these two files" implies that there are even more patched DLLs required.

Thanks for a short clarification here!

Tomalak

The literature should say both instead of all. At one point in time, 3 files were needed. Be careful with the XP reducers, there is a pesty one (or two) in there and I don't have time to identify and troubleshoot it (and I'm not going to troubleshoot it either).

Literature revised. :)

Hello Tomcat76,

could you also please revise the sentence before (both files, SYSSETUP.DL_ and SFC_OS.DL_, can be obtained in their modified form by using nLite)? That would clarify the paragraph. Thanks!

I'll ask TommyP. It's his text ;)

Okay, no problem. It's not that important :)

But now I have another problem: put the two modified files (and a modified UXTHEME.DL_) as produced by nLite into the FIX folder. Installation went just fine afterwards (I did remove the .cat files when being asked by hfslip).

Next step was to include a small cleanup file named "NotepadHelp.rem" in HFCLEANUP, containing just two lines: NOTEPAD.CH and NOTEPAD.HL. And now I suddenly got into serious trouble: after the first successful GUI installation phase, rebooting into the second and final stage (with OOBE) failed. Before even showing the graphical screen with the progress bar, I got a blue screen and the computer rebooted. And it's stuck in that reboot loop...

I couldn't see the error message, sorry - it's not shown long enough and disappearing too fast (I'm doing an installation in a VM).

Any idea what happended here? I can post both log files if necessary, but the only difference between them is the single line with my custom removal file. Of, just in case it matters: last version I tried with is 70627a.

I can investigate further next week. Thanks for your all your help and support!

Tomalak

HFCLEANUP and XP really don't mix. I ran into so many roadblocks with it. I would recommend to use NLITE instead. Sorry dude. I can offer a quick tip though. With the reducers, make sure that there isn't any blank lines. Blank lines cause troubles.