Network Location Awareness service

rado354

I have this stupid problem:

4h2rr4y.gif

The network is working but when some PC tries to connect to my computer, I get this icon trying to connect forever.

The other PC has no such problem and is able to browse the LAN and surf in Internet.

All PCs have a static IP address.

After reading this: http://www.tdaxp.com/archive/2005/02/05/ac...rk_address.html it could be because I removed the Network Location Awareness service.

I set netbios to Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the TCP/IP settings (advanced, wins tab), still no luck.

Any way to install it again?

Edited by rado354

I can't see an update button after right clicking somewhere in Network Connections :no:

Which components cause this "Acquiring network address"?

I couldn't find info in nLite about this.

Next time I will try not to remove the Network Location Awareness service, until then - any help is much appreciated ;)

Can you possibly post a screen shot of that step - I have exactly this problem but don't get that option followiong your instructions above.

If I "repair" the connection it works every time after renewing the ip address and will stay on line for days on end but once I restart I have to repair again. It sound like it doesn't know its IP address and has to renew it every time to work.

Well i'm on Swedish WindowsXP

But you have to rightclick on the icon (acquiring network icon)

open networt connections

step1

117045345151719a.gif

step2

117045345124a2db.gif

It's swedish but you get the picture!

Later it will look like this:

1170453814b741a9.gif

Edited by hulkviper

Mandarin, you have the same problem?

Did you remove the Network Location Awareness service too?

hulkviper, thanks man!

Refresh helps, but it's annoying to do it every time.

Seems like an interesting issue.

Still looking for a solution... any help is much appreciated ;)

Thanks for the screenshots but I don't get that option.

I don't know where the option to remove Network awareness is so I don't think I removed it.

Further investigation seems to suggest that the problem PC doesn't have an IP address when it starts up so doesn't know what it is, so to speak. Using the "repair" function re-allocates an IP address then it works perfectly.

Intersted to see if a solution to your problem can also solve mine.

Mandarin, you don't even have the "Refresh" button:

78062772zo9.gif

? :unsure:

The NLA service could be removed with nLite and I did remove it.

I'm not 100% sure this is the cause of the acquiring network address issue, but it could be.

I suppose I will have to re-install again, but that's not in my priorities right now :P

Maybe when 1.3 Final is out...

Edited by rado354

rado - I do have the refresh button but that doesn't change anything - the laptop is completly ignorant of the network it is supposed to connect to. Must admit the difference in terms threw me off first of all - I was looking for an update option.

Probably best to start from scratch though the main user of that laptop is perfectly happy to repair it every time so it is a low priority for me to sort out.

• 2 weeks later...

i connect 2 computers. one has 2 network cards and another has one to connect to this computer. when lan is connected, both computers repeatedly says 'network cable unplugged' and 'connected' and both msgs repeat each second one after the other until i unplug the cable. i didnt remove NLA or any service.