iTunes msi problem.

BoardBabe

After the latest iTunes has been installed some other apps will not install and halt at an error message, what's going on!?

th_76992_whatjpg.jpg

Translation:

"The function you are trying to access is located on an unavailable network source.

Click OK to try again, or provide an alternative path to the folder containing the installerpack iTunes.msi in the field below."

How can I resolve this? I am installing iTunes by simply unpacking the original exe using winrar, removing QuickTime (using QTalt) and repack to WinRAR SFX with the following comment.

Setup=iTunesSetup.exe /S /V"SILENT_INSTALL=1 INSTALL_DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=0 ASSUME_QT_DEFAULTS=0 ASSUME_MEDIA_DEFAULTS=1 ALLUSERS=1" /w"
TempMode
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

PS: the error message does NOT appear at iTunes installation, but at later app installations.

Edited by BoardBabe

I had this EXACT same problem.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=454069

He thinks he may have fixed this problem in the latest iTunes (sans Quicktime) silent installer, but I haven't been able to get that to work at all. However, I used the non-silent installer and it went just fine (and I didn't get any errors on later installations).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'm almost in the same boat as you right now. :\

Edited by Dumpy Dooby

Actually I'm using the latest Apple QuickTime, my bad I wrote wrong, as I used to use QTalt... Im installing it seperatly (before iTunes) because I'd like to be able to install ONLY quicktime without iTunes on some machines.

Anyway, I'll try ALLUSERS=2 RogueSpear.

Might I add that this dialog appears even now after many reboots and system up and running when trying to install eg. divx create.

Edited by BoardBabe

Just though of something else. If you are making your switchless silent installer without first converting the .msi into an administrative installation point, then this error would be expected. Whenever you install something from an AIP based .msi, it copies over a bunch of stuff to %systemroot%\Installer. Note that is a supperhidden directory.

I don't use iTunes myself, but I try to follow what's going on with it since some computers I support do in fact use it.

Just tried setting ALLUSERS=2, that did'nt help. I'm installing quite a few things from .msi and I have'nt made any AIP's of them (like MSN messenger, Adobe Reader, MS antispyware, shockwave player), I've only encountered problem with iTunes so far.

Plus I have no clue how to make an AIP :P

It's the deal where you execute

msiexec /a filename.msi

and then point the installer to an empty temporary directory. Essentially it extracts everything from the .msi file to that directory. The resulting .msi file then contains nothing but the install instructions, registry entries, and the like. It's the process that I use in practically all of my switchless silent installers.

I've found over the years that using the packaged .msi file can often invoke the dialog box you posted above. Now obviously there are exceptions to the rule and further, there are people who author truly terrible .msi packages where they don't follow any of the best practices.

As a side benefit, using the AIP method will allow your 7-Zip or WinRAR based silent installer to be smaller in size. Sometimes a great deal smaller.

BoardBabe, I just tried itunessetup /a and it seemed to work so far (The Admin install point was created successfully). I haven't tried making a silent install from that, but I will in a few minutes. Just wanted to give you an update. :)

edit: I had to copy over the following files in order for the installer to work:

0x0409.ini

iTunesSetup.exe

msistub.exe

Setup.ini

ISScript11.Msi

Now I'll attempt to make a silent installer. Again, though, I'm using the 7zip package from aforementioned thread (iTunes with no Quicktime). You can try doing this same stuff with your version of iTunes, but I dunno if it will work. Also, read the last post in that thread, if you're interested in having iTunes without Quicktime, but with all languages. :)

Edited by Dumpy Dooby

Ahh.. Apple has pulled the old "You must use setup.exe" trick. This is something Ahead and Adobe do as well. I always get around it by deleting the custom action from the .msi file. This is not something that the Microsoft Installer format was meant to provide. So some of these idiots put it in their installers purposefully.

It sounds as though Dumpy Dooby has found a way around it. One thing to consider - if you use my switchless silent installer for the InstallShield Script Engine, you could leave out the ISScript11.msi file from your installer. Check it out in my switchless silent installer thread.

EDIT: This is starting to get my interest now. I'm downloading iTunes right now and am going to see what I can do with it. I have a friend who needs his computer reinstalled sometime soon and it's going to need iTunes on it. So what the heck, may as well tackle this now.

Edited by RogueSpear

Excellent. We have RogueSpear on board. :P

I tried using the normal silent install switches and they don't seem to work from the admin install point (although start menu shortcuts get created ... yay?). I can't use them on the MSI either because it wants that setup file.

I think our best bet would be to use InstallShield to remove the action from the MSI (like you mentioned). Will you let me know what you do to remove that line? 'cause I'm going to want to do it on the one that I have (localized, no quicktime).

In the meantime, I'll toy with it it a bit.

edit: I just ran your silent installer of ISScript. Then I ran iTunesSetup.exe. It still gave me an error saying it needed isscript11.msi or whatever the filename was. Currently installing InstallShield so I can go play. :D

Edited by Dumpy Dooby

Oh man I didn't realize what I was getting myself involved with here. What a pain in the bum. Anyways, after fooling around with the .msi file for a bit, I kept on getting stopped at the installation of some driver or another. Just for kicks I decided to try a good old fashioned repack. It seems to work just fine. The problem is that I don't have an iPod, so I can't really test it out. A possible bonus is that QuickTime Alternative V1.67 should work with this too. I've found V1.68 to be utter garbage. I stripped out all but English language support in the interest of file size and because I just wanted to get this made. If it works out fine, I'll make one with more extended language support. Any brave souls?

iTunes V6.0.4.2 switchless silent installer