alternative to cmdow @ /HID

I'm using cmd /c start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Applications\***.exe for my RunOnceEx so it wont mess things up and wait for doing all in proper time...works fine but I cant stand having those boxes hanging there.

I have tried to usecmd /c cmdow @ /HID start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Applications\***.exe ..but then nothing happens.

I remember someone mentioned something about other method/command that didnt call up any box at all, anyone has a clue or solution?

well, i would say first learn to read, then post, you used the wrong syntax

thats how it is done:

cmdow @ /HID
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Applications\***.exe

2 LINES!!!!!

see http://unattended.msfn.org/advanced/methods/runonceex_cd.htm for examples

then it should work. another method is to use cygwins run.exe to start the batch window hidden.

then you just use

run.exe yourbatchfile.cmd

Edited by websee

As for hidng cmd.exe I use NirCMD to prevent the windows from opening at all. CMDow just hides the window after it opens, NirCMD will prevent anything from opening at all.

Here are some different examples of how you can use it on your UA CD/DVD to prevent those windows from opening:

Quietly execute any commandline argument:

NirCMD ExeCMD "RD /S /Q "~$folder.common_start_menu$\Programs\**** NFO Viewer""

Run an application invisibly:

NirCMD Exec hide "~$Nir.Exefile$\Applications\Setup.exe" /S

Hide/close/move a window:

NirCMD win close ititle "cmd.exe"

Killing processes:

NirCMD killprocess UltraMon.exe

Or just turn off the monitor :P

NirCMD Monitor Off

Good stuff, and more in the excellent documentation.

Edited by Achdine

also, you if you need more than one line you can link the commands with an ampersand:

cmd /c cmdow @ /HID&start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Applications\***.exe

More to the point however, have you tried using the start command correctly, it will certainly help with commands not waiting

start "" /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Applications\***.exe

where the title, (between the quotes), can be blank as in my example or filled with your chosen text.

I think you misunderstood me, i wanna use those commands directly in in RunOnceEx, that is NOT using a batch.

start wont do crap in RunOnceEx unless you call an batch that contains that command.

thats why I used "cmd /c start" to call cmd first.

I use WPI and feels it's a waste of nice coding not to use provided commandlines and use a single batchfile instead.

The meaning with my somwhat cryptic post whas to get either a better way to use RunOnceEx to call those commands directly OR find that other method where callings those batches in a more hidden fashion that I've read somewhere.

@ Achdine, thanx bro..thats exactly what I'm looking for :D

..@ websee, ..c'mon dude, "well, i would say first learn to read, then post"

..whats the gain? :huh:

I HAVE spent time at those guides, maybe I've missed some but there is NO need for that..pffff.

NirCMD is a neat little utility. I agree.

Another alternative is StartX.

StartX can be a replacement for Windows internal start command. Example:

startx /wait /b %systemdrive%\Install\Applications\install.cmd

switch /b will start your application without creating a new window. (no more using cmdow, no more quick flashes of a DOS window either)

just place StartX.exe in $OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32\

This only a minor quibble, but it can be stated better as *.exe

Using one or three astericks will give you all instances of exe filetypes in your directory, not necessarily just the three characters .exe if that is what you were looking for.

The ? wildcard would be more appropriate for specifing a specific number of characters.

For exactly three characters, use ???.exe instead.

Anyways hope that helps.

Edited by vcBlackBox

This only a minor quibble, but it can be stated better as *.exe

Using one or three astericks will give you all instances of exe filetypes in your directory, not necessarily just the three characters .exe if that is what you were looking for.

The ? wildcard would be more appropriate for specifing a specific number of characters.

For exactly three characters, use ???.exe instead.

Anyways hope that helps.

hehe, my bad..was only using astericks as "whattevaname".exe.

should have known better :blushing:

looking in on StartX, having probs getting NirCMD to fly with this:

NirCMD ExeCMD "%CDROM%\Install\applications\OpenOffice\setup.exe -r:%CDROM%\Install\applications\OpenOffice\setup.txt" -debug

maybe I'm missing a couple of quotas?

EDIT:

when using startx /wait /b "%CDROM%\Install\Applications\ART\setup.exe" /S

I get "no commands specified" by StartX..I thought this was possible to run from RunOnceEx :blink:

I mean, StartX gets reached by RunOnceEx allright but StartX itself can't give the commands... :( ...man, this is confusing.

Edited by Clint

I think you misunderstood me, i wanna use those commands directly in in RunOnceEx, that is NOT using a batch.

start wont do crap in RunOnceEx unless you call an batch that contains that command.

To whom are you addressing with these remarks!

My response was a direct fix for your line, which you stated didn't work!

I have tried to usecmd /c cmdow @ /HID start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Applications\***.exe ..but then nothing happens.
I then went on to explain that you were not actually using the start command with its full correct syntax, it wasn't an example of the code you need in your RunOnceEx, just an example of correct usage.

No batch is used or needed just a single line to run the command interpreter with parameters.

Now with the information I gave and a little research you could also find out that you could run more than one command from the same line, also reducing the number of cmd windows; you could also turn off the echoing too!

cmd /q/c cmdow @hid&start "" /wait first.exe&&start "" /wait second.exe

To whom are you addressing with these remarks!

My response was a direct fix for your line, which you stated didn't work!

I then went on to explain that you were not actually using the start command with its full correct syntax, it wasn't an example of the code you need in your RunOnceEx, just an example of correct usage.

No batch is used or needed just a single line to run the command interpreter with parameters.

Now with the information I gave and a little research you could also find out that you could run more than one command from the same line, also reducing the number of cmd windows; you could also turn off the echoing too!

cmd /q/c cmdow @hid&start "" /wait first.exe&&start "" /wait second.exe

UhOh, I see now what you mean, I wasnt paying attention enuff (early in the morning)..now I can see that you have fixed that line and THEN provided the proper

start command and quotes.. :blushing:

My mind was all set to that you were refering to a proper batchfile (hence the last line starting with"start")..guess I still had websee's "clever remark" ringin' in my mind :}

well, you live and learn..thanx for the instructions...worked perfectly :D

a number of use use Quick Batch File converter to make totally silent

cmd or bat which becomes EXE.

no added cmdow needed.

get it it is cool

passwordprotect your batches...hehe, nice features :thumbup

this is what it's all about, doing "research" in this fashion by posting questions you get all kinda pearls thrown at you ;)

I DO my research as well, but this is the best...thanx bro!

I gain knowledge, you gain that warm fuzzy feeling helpin' a fella out.. :P

No problem, Clint, been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

Also I have to agree, Quick Batch File Compiler is good, and although I rarely use it, the 'Ghost Application' feature is brilliant for silent unattended use. Just make sure that the cmd file works using a test QBFC first, it's still surprising how many you have problems with, once compiled as an exe, which ran perfectly as a cmd. They do however have a good support forum, where you can get help with problems such as this.

No problem, Clint, been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

Also I have to agree, Quick Batch File Compiler is good, and although I rarely use it, the  'Ghost Application' feature is brilliant for silent unattended use. Just make sure that the cmd file works using a test QBFC first, it's still surprising how many you have problems with, once compiled as an exe, which ran perfectly as a cmd. They do however have a good support forum, where you can get help with problems such as this.

uhumm, can't agree with you more...very picky indeed :huh:

guess my batches aren't good enuff..heh.

also that "nag" gets on my nerve, kinda spoils the whole idea..can't afford to shuffle that

39$.

But I see why ppl use it, excellent features with "Ghost" and "Passprotect".. :thumbup

EDIT: StartX works SWEET..! The postinstall now takes 50% longer time, but thats a good thing for once ;)

No boxes, nada! :thumbup

Edited by Clint

a number of use use Quick Batch File converter to make totally silent

cmd or bat which becomes EXE.

no added cmdow needed.

get it it is cool

hehe, what a piece of crap!

I have been trying to make it run the simplest batch...nada!

it wouldnt even run this:

@echo off

MOVE c:\test.txt c:\new\test.txt

EXIT

no, that was a way to smucky app for me.. :(

EDIT: got my hands on "ExeScript 2.0" that looks like a rip-off from that "Quick Batch File converter"..this one actually works!

Downside is, when open that .exe in notepad the "source" is not encrypted at all...another piece of crap as well... :whistle:

Edited by Clint