[How to] Integrate VIA Hyperion Drivers

IRP

[How to] Integrate VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 Drivers Revisited.

- Version: 1.1 - February 9, 2005

0. Changelog:

v1.0, January 20, 2005 - First Release => Go to replies to this release.

v1.1, February 9, 2005 - Added new Ide Drivers 1.20b. => Go to replies to this release.

1. Description:

VIA Hyperion Drivers is a package with a set of drivers for VIA chipsets of a motherboard. The version v455vp1 is the last release (January 20, 2005), you can download the lastest version from the oficcial website: VIA Drivers

Note: There is a updated version of the IDE Driver (VIA Storage Port Bus driver v1.20b - February 9, 2005), but you need to download it separately from here: VIA Storage Port Bus driver

2. Requirements:

- Windows XP with SP2 integrated.

- This how to is aplicable to a whatever hardware you have, but you NEVER use it in a Motherboard with a mixed chipset, for example Northbridge SiS and Southbridge VIA. Why? The incoming troubles can be a big headache. If you have a mixed chipset use the drivers provided for your motherboard manufacturer or simply use the windows defaults.

3. Steps:

1. Download the drivers and uncompress it to a temp folder, now you can see a file called VIAHyperion4in1xxxxxx.exe (where xxx are the version number), well, uncompress it with winrar in the same folder (or whatever you want). Now a bundle of files and folders appears, we only need two files: viamach.cat and viamach.inf that are under .\INF\Winxp.

2. Download the IDE Driver and uncompress it to a temp folder, we only need the six files that are under .\VBusPort\Driver\XP2K.

3. Create a folder under $OEM$\$1\Drivers\ and copy the files to it. The best way: Create a folder called \VIA inside a folder called \000-Chipset put the files inside the VIA folder. Path: "$OEM$\$1\Drivers\000-Chipset\VIA" Why? Open Architecture for other drivers. If later you want to include intel drivers, or other chipset drivers you only need to create the chipset brand folder inside 000-Chipset and you minimize the entries in winnt.sif.

4. Add the line "Drivers\000-Chipset\VIA" or your custom path to the option OEMPnPDriversPath in the winnt.sif file. Don't forget the ";" if you have more entries in this option.

5. Build your cd. That's all.

4. Comments:

You can test if the drivers intalled correctly if you see in the section System in Device Manager:

For VIA Hyperion

- VIA Standard Host Bridge

- VIA Standard PCI to ISA Bridge

For VIA Storage Driver

- VIA Bus Master Ultra ATA Controller

5. Detailed information:

VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 driver includes five system drivers and one driver/patch to improve the performance and maintain the stability of systems using VIA chipsets. These are:

VIA Registry (INF) Driver: is to be installed under Windows. The driver will

enable VIA Power Management Controller.

This driver is located under the folder "Inf" (see figure 1).

VIA AGP Gart Driver: is to be installed if you are using an AGP VGA card, will provide service routines to your VGA driver and interface directly to hardware, providing fast graphical access.

With Windows XP SP2 a new Microsoft technology is avaliable: Universal Accelerated Graphics Port (UAGP), that replaces all agp(gart) drivers writen before. In fact, the agp drivers included in the VIA Hyperion v455vp1 are the same that ones included in the v453. Now all chipset manufacturers recommend only the Microsoft driver for the agp interface. This driver (gagp30kx.sys) is included with the Service Pack 2 package, The VIA's driver isn't necessary any more. The VIA agp driver is located under the folders "AGP", "Agp95", "AgpMe", "Server2003", "WIN2K", "WIN9X", "WINME", "WINNT" and "WinXP" (see figure 1).

VIA IDE Bus Mastering Driver: This driver enables the performance enhancing bus mastering functions on ATA-capable Hard Disk Drives and ensures IDE device compatibility. (Also known as the ATAPI Vendor Support Driver).

This driver isn't updated since VIA 4in1 v438, 10/18/2001 v5.1.2600.120, the driver included with the Windows XP Service Pack 2 is up to date. Since Windows XP Service Pack 1 this driver is no more needed.

This driver is located under the folders "IDEWin2K" and "IDEWinXP" (see figure 1).

Note: This driver is now called "VIA Storage Port Bus driver" and will be included in the next release of VIA Hyperion Package. The VIA Storage Port Bus driver is a high performance IDE ATA/ATAPI driver that will help your system to gain higher performance on business application.

VIA PCI IRQ Miniport Driver: It will improve the PCI IRQ routing sequence. This driver is only for Windows 98.

This driver is located under the folder "IRQ" (see figure 1).

VIA IDE Filter Driver: Is the only driver to be installed to Windows NT users.

This driver is located under the folder "Idefilter" (see figure 1).

VIA PFD Driver: This driver isn't really a driver, is a bug-fix patch for a especific configuration. The issue exists with certain VT82C686A/B (SouthBridge) and KT133(A) (NorthBridge) motherboard implementations, but not all of them. It only happens with the SBLive! sound card. It is only brought about by the movement of large amounts of data to and from ATA-66/100 hard drives on each channel. So this driver is only installed by the VIA setup wizard (by a previous system check) and never by a unattended installation (Windows never know if need it). The people with this trouble, or install the VIA Hyperion drivers manually or make a dedicated unattended cd(only for their system) running the setup by [GuiRunOnce] in winnt.sif. I think that make an application to detect the system configuration and then install the patch isn't the better option, but it's possible.

This driver/patch is located under the folder "Pfd" (see figure 1).

FIGURE 1 (VIA Hyperion Package)

via.jpg

See you soon.

@hp38guser:

What is my post got to do with this thread? I'm sorry I think you overlooked something! My thread was about the question wether you need to include subdirs or not (and you do have to)! This thread is about the fact that you only need 2 files to integrate the VIA hyperion drivers in WinXP SP2. And you DO need to include the whole subdir!

@hp38guser:

What is my post got to do with this thread? I'm sorry I think you overlooked something! My thread was about the question wether you need to include subdirs or not (and you do have to)! This thread is about the fact that you only need 2 files to integrate the VIA hyperion drivers in WinXP SP2. And you DO need to include the whole subdir!

Please, only comments about the thread.

Thank you.

2. Create a folder under $OEM$\$1\Drivers\ and copy the files to it. The best

way: Create a folder called \VIA inside a folder called \000-Chipset put the

files inside the VIA folder. Path: "$OEM$\$1\Drivers\000-Chipset\VIA"

Why? Open Architecture for other drivers. If later you want to include intel

drivers, or other chipset drivers you only need to create the chipset brand

folder inside 000-Chipset and you minimize the entries in winnt.sif.

This works, I have changed the Driver Compressor Tool also to use this dir naming method.

@IRP, does this VIA thing do anything - improve system performance. It doesn't even install anything!

@IRP, does this VIA thing do anything - improve system performance. It doesn't even install anything!

The VIA Inf Driver (Viamatch), says the system where are the resources, to manage it better. It will be an increase in performance, but not always. The better aproach come with busy pci lines.

See you soon.

I can't believe this to be true... an INF-file contains information about the drivers and a CAT file is a signature from Microsoft. You say you only need these 2 files. But where are the actual drivers then?

Please explain, as already questioned, how those two files, carrying no drivers, manages to install for instance, the IDE driver found only in the VIAHyperion4in1455v\IDEWinXP directory in a non slipstreamed disk, or change the title to SP2 only?

===========================

So to recap......

1. Do not download the VIA 4in1 drivers for your slipstreamed XP sp2 CD

Drivers Contents:-

VIA AGP Gart Driver - Since Windows XP Service Pack 2 this driver is not needed

VIA IDE Bus Mastering Driver - Since Windows XP Service Pack 1 this driver is not needed

VIA PCI IRQ Miniport Driver - This driver is not for Windows XP

VIA IDE Filter Driver - This driver is not for Windows XP

VIA PFD Driver - This is not a driver

2. Download and extract the attachment below to your UA directory

3. Add the line "Drivers\000-Chipset\VIA" or your custom path to the option OEMPnPDriversPath in the winnt.sif file. Don't forget the ";" if you have more entries in this option.

4in1.zip

Please explain, as already questioned, how those two files, carrying no drivers, manages to install for instance, the IDE driver found only in the VIAHyperion4in1455v\IDEWinXP directory in a non slipstreamed disk, or change the title to SP2 only?

@Yzöwl

Is another question or you have edited your post??

It was a question, I didn't want answering.

I was trying to make a point......

If the title in your thread said that the information was for Slipstreamed XP (service pack 2) versions only, and then included the later edits, none of the confusion would have occurred.

Everything in my post below the seperator, says everything yours needed to, and saves having to click a link to go to a download site to choose some options to download a file, which doesn't contain any drivers we can use!

• 3 weeks later...