Apply Custom theme to all user profiles

Does anyone know how i can apply a custom theme to all curent user profiles and future user profiles ?? I apply my theme in the winnt.sif file like this

[shell]

CustomDefaultThemeFile="%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\shenandoah.theme"

This works great however it only works for the administrative account :(

Ok i am see 6 registry keys

(default) REG_SZ (Value not set)

Drop Shadow REG_SZ FALSE

Flat Menues REG_SZ FALSE

InstallTheme REG_SZ %resouceDir%\themes\Luna.theme

InstallVisualStyle REG_SZ %systemroot\Resources\themes\Luna\Luna.msstyles

SetupVersion REG_SV 7

I am guessing that i will have to change the Installtheme key

however i am a novice programmer and i do not know the exact syntax that would need to be used to do this in a reg file. Can anyone help me out ???

You need to change both the InstallTheme, and InstallVisualStyle keys. So waht you do is you right click on them, and then instert the definitive paths to those two files, thus most likely it will look like thus

InstallTheme REG_SZ %WinDir%\Resources\Themes\shenandoah.theme

InstallVisualStyle REG_SZ %WinDir%\Resources\Themes\shenandoah\shenandoah.msstyles

if you cant find InstallVisualStyle REG_SZ %WinDir%\Resources\Themes\shenandoah\shenandoah.msstyles, dont worry about it then, the second one is important, but not critical, the first one is...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes]

"InstallTheme"="%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\shenandoah.theme"
"InstallVisualStyle"="%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\shenandoah\shenandoah.msstyles"

Okay i ran the registry script to test it out on my local machine. I noticed that the registry keys did get changed but the actual theme did not. I tried restarting the pc. putting the reg file in the startup folder and restarting again. I made sure that the shenandoah theme was under resources\themes\ with the rest of the themes. Still nothing. I have always had trouble getting .reg files to work after i double click on them. i always seem to have the same problem. the key changes but whatever the changes the key was supposed to make never happens

am i doing something wrong with these .reg files :blink:

hehe, of course they wont work... the reg file would need to be:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes]

"InstallTheme"="%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\shenandoah.theme"
"InstallVisualStyle"="%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\shenandoah\shenandoah.msstyles"

the reason being is because your local settings are overiding the global computer settings, create a new user and see what its theme is!

Dern, you have one very stubbern machine!, i dont blaim you for wanting to throw it out the window!(except that it might hurt someone, would that be a good thing, dont know!)

kk, down to bussiness, a couple of questions

A)Are you running a dual-boot machine

B)Are you attached to a domain / work network

C)Are you running a full install of windows

D)Are you using the uxtheme.dll directly, or having intermediate software mediate betwean you and the system

Da)If you are using intermediate software, what is it, ie: stylexp

E)Why in the bloody heck is msoft win so annoying!? (rhetorical, dont answer)

[EDIT]

Could you post what is in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager] when you have your custom theme enabled, also do so with all the contents of [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes]

it would help me understand this theme better, as well as anyone who tried to help

Ok you know what screw this registry stuff i thought of a way that almost works. what i did was drop the shenandoah.theme file into my startup folder for all users.

what ends up happing the display properties window pops up after windows loads just as if you right-clicked your desktop and went to properties, now my only problem is that i need to somehow send the enter command. This will apply the theme and close the display properties dialog box.. PERFECT so even if some basterd figures out how to change the background. the next logon it will change it rigth back!! Wow :w00t: im so excited !! come on guys think how do i automate the enter command ????

Not asking me to suck eggs at all, any help or info is always greatly appreciated. can you explain to me exactly what a Hacked.dll does because i never needed it before to apply custome windows XP themes. Could i need this because i am making the change through the windows registry ?? ;)