New SP2 patch KB884020 update the tcpip.sys file

raindrop

Microsoft released a new update for XP computers that are running SP2

as described on MS KB884020

you will be redirected to download the file which will include a patch: WindowsXP-KB884020-x86-enu.exe MD5: ED94381266843E545470DF523A806AD6 (In case you download it from other source like eMule or FTP servers)

The problem is that it will replace the tcpip.sys file to a new version:

13-Aug-2004 22:50 5.1.2600.2505 359,040 Tcpip.sys (Instead of 5.1.2600.2180 that come with SP2 RTM)

Did anyone hacked the new tcpip.sys numbers of max connections from 10 to unlimited?

Thanks

RD

do u guys see this hotfix in wu?

if so have u guys formatted the drive then installed xp sp2?

bc at my desktop I've installed sp2 over sp1 and I dont' seem to get that

and at that link I wasn't redirected?

I don't believe this update is offered at WU:

A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this hotfix.

I didn't get redirected either, but I think he means to M$ phone support or something.

EDIT: And I CERTAINLY WON'T download it from eMule! :P

A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this hotfix.

I think I'll wait until 2007 when Longhorn will be released. I'm sure that it will contain this hotfix. :lol:

UPDATED THIS POST. My FILE HAD THE WRONG CHECKSUM.

Here's my patch:

Probably the first on the internet for this version :D

TCPIP.SYS

359,040 bytes, version 5.1.2600.2505

Offset 130  (This is the checksum!)
FROM:  27 C3 05 00  TO:  1B C4 05 00 (<--- corrected checksum)

offset 4F322
FROM:  A0 00 00 00  TO:  FE FF FF 00 (<--- unlimited connections)

These are the same edits as for the 2180 version.

source: http://www.lvllord.de/4226fix/4226fix-en-manual.htm

tcpip.sys.v5.1.2600.2505.part1.rar

You still need to makecab, expand and correct the checksum if you want to intergrate this into your own Unattended CD.

For the masses, I suggest you stick with your current TCPIP.SYS (build 2180) unless you exprience the problem documented in the MS KB884020

I think I'll wait until 2007 when Longhorn will be released. I'm sure that it will contain this hotfix. :lol:

I'm sure SP3 for WXP will have it too. And that will be before 2007 longhorn. :P