need help with minor problems

Lost Soul

hi i got a few minor questions about installing my basic adobe reader 6 and my msn 6.2

well to start off im running installing my adobe reader through the runonceex by calling it out to a batch file. now the reason im doing that is because im not very sure about how this syntax is supposed to go in since it would make it having 3 quotes in a row, ive tried it but it dont work, it wont instal with the 3 quotes and what i mean is well the syntax for it is like this AdbeRdr60_enu.exe -p"-s /v\"/qn\"" but when put into the runonceex it looks like this

REG ADD %KEY%\040 /VE /D "Adobe Reader 6" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\040 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\AdobeReader6\AdbeRdr60_enu.exe -p"-s /v\"/qn\""" /f

now that obviously isnt working for the instal, so what should i do for that because im not sure what to do with that given that type of syntax.

now for my second question

for installing msn 6.2 through the runonceex ive extract SETUPDL.EXE to this folder: C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\install\Messenger\

having in there now bootstrap and MsnMsgs.msi files

now this is the way ive got it written in my runonceex

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /VE /D "MSN Messenger 6.2" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Messenger\MsnMsgs.msi /QB" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /V 2 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\Applications\Messenger\register.reg" /f

now my question why is it that after it instals the messenger it goes straight into the C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\install\Messenger\ folder and shows the contents of that folder until its time to reboot

is there any way to get it to instal with out having this folder pop up after instillation

ive tried it with out extracting the files with the lower case syntax like this /qb

but that wouldnt instal.

is there any thing i can do to resolve these minor problems,

any help would be appreciated

thanks

question #1, the adobe prob.. the following works for me

AdobeReader6.exe -p"""-s /v\"""/qn\"""

question #2 the msgr prob...

wat if u use taskkill ? for syntax of it goto cmd type taskkill /?

regards

im not sure how to use a kill command to close a folder right now all i know is this folder that pops up right after msn 6.2 is installed C:\install\Applications\Messenger really is aggrivating

how do you think i should type this up for my runonceex

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /VE /D "MSN Messenger 6.2" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Messenger\MsnMsgs.msi /QB" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /V 2 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\Applications\Messenger\register.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /V 3 /D "%systemdrive%\install\pskill install\Applications\Messenger" /f

im not really sure how to go about this any ideals

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /V 3 /D "%systemdrive%\install\pskill.exe (process name)

regards... taskkill may work better tho for what u want 2 do, 2 get the syntax just type taskkill /? in cmd

there is an option of taskkill to select which part of the process is killed, like a specific folder in explorer.exe instead of killing the entire shell.

again, taskkill /? will tell you how. (It's one of the options with the quotes)

REG ADD %KEY%\040 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\AdobeReader6\AdbeRdr60_enu.exe -p"-s /v\"/qn\""" /f

The way MCT has it, is for an INF file not BATCH.

should most likely be this...

REG ADD %KEY%\040 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\AdobeReader6\AdbeRdr60_enu.exe -p\"-s /v\"/qn\"\"" /f

Just put it in a seperate batch file, execute it, and then OPEN up regedit. See if it retained the quotes properly. You can safely delete the key after looking so you don't get the RunOnceEX screen upon restart.

It's as Alanoll says.

Basically, all you need to do about the runonceex is that for every appearance of an inverted commas, replace it with a slash and THEN an inverted commas - so your syntax will be proper. This is mentioned in the official MSFN guide as well.

In other words,

"

becomes

\"

thank you alanoll youve solved my adobe reader problem and your right about using pskill to kill eploerer thats killing the whole shell and there for dishing out problems to any thing else after that im still having problems trying to kill that one folder window C:\install\Applications\Messenger

i know i need to use taskkill to close out that window but im having alittle trouble working that out i found this example of the switch that i believe i need

TASKKILL /F /FI "PID ge 1000" /FI "WINDOWTITLE ne untitle*"

now this is what ive done and no it didnt work so obviously ive done it wrong i replaced the "WINDOWTITLE ne untitle*" with the name of the window screen that needed to be closed which is titled Messenger

TASKKILL /F /FI "PID ge 1000" /FI "Messenger*"

then i added it to my runonceex like this

REG ADD %KEY%\105 /VE /D "Messenger Plus 3" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\105 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\Messenger Plus\MsgPlus-301.exe /SilentInstallNoSponsor" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\105 /V 2 /D "%systemdrive%\install\pskill msnmsgr.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\105 /V 3 /D "%systemdrive%\install\pskill iexplore.exe" /f

TASKKILL /F /FI "PID ge 1000" /FI "Messenger*"

the reason i added it to the messenger plus 3 one is because thats when that window is poping up, im really not very sure on how to add the taskkill to the runonceex and im definatly having trouble on getting the switches right for closing out this window.

any ideals ? can any one help me out on this ?

thanks

RED ADD %KEY%\105 /V 4 /D "TASKKILL.EXE /F /FI \"WINDOWTITLE eq Messenger*\""

That should do it

You do add it to your REG ADD entries or it doesn't run when it's supposed, but rather when the keys are imported but not executed.