Partition Magic 8

sounds like you just created a brand new image file, instead of READING the first disk, THEN resizing it under options to 2.88 mbs, then adding the second.

If you did follow the site exactly, and it's still not working....

I remember somewhere in WinImage the option of configuring the bootsector. Maybe find something helpful there?

I have the exact same problem as MAVERICK. In my case, because my main PC (on which I created the DVD) doesn't have a floppy, I had to install PM8 on my wife's PC to create the rescue diskettes, then transfer their contents to a folder on my HDD over our LAN (don't ask... :) the trouble I go to... :rolleyes: ) ANyway, the point being that I did exactky as Alanoll stated.

I looked again in WinImage, and if you open the .IMA, then click Image>Boot sector properties you'll find some lame WinImage bootsector info. On the right there are options to set the bootsector to DOS6.22, Win95 or WinNT.

I've set mine to DOS6.22, but haven't got around to creating a new ISO yet. Will edit if succesfull (or not :D )

EDIT

So, the first try w/ DOS6.22 bootsector wasn't a success. The .IMA loads up fine, so there's some progress there, but after memdisk loads I get the old DOS error: Nonsystem disk or disk error - replace & press any key when ready.

After that I created .IMAs with WinNT and Win95 bootsectors. In both cases, as with DOS6.22, the .IMAs unpacked and loaded fine, but the WinNT one gave a "couldn't find NTLDR, Please insert another disk" error message, then hangs.

Finally, I rebooted and tried the Win95 bootsector, and lo and behold, the d*** thing booted up Win98 and then displayed a VERY ugly desktop with PM8 running! Yeehaw... Now if I can just the mousepointer to move somewhat smoothly. Anybody?

ArmyDoc

Edited by ArmyDoc

@ MAVERICK

Here's mine.

BTW, read above post w/ updated EDIT section. Hope this helps.. I just haven't tried to actually partition any of my HDDs, because I tested on my primary PC. Selection of the drives works fine though, for what its worth :)

PM8.zip

Still no luck for me? I basically rebuilt the two rescue disks in PM8 which build fine but I have noticed two files don,t seem to copy to the floppies, Autoexec.bat & mscdex.exe. Then if I open Winimage & CtrlR to read disk it copies through to the 86% point & pops up in error. If I read disk 2 & then inject the disk 1 as a 2.88 image it seems to build in winimage but won't boot in virtual PC.

As Alanoll pointed out I had a similar problem in 98se. I however carried this out on my second PC & errored at the same point any ideas?

Weird! Does this error occur when testing in a VM or on a physical DVD? Perhaps it's something to do with the emulation?

I would think that if it's only about the two missing files that there are easy solutions, after all mscdex can be found on just about a gazillion places on the web, and we can probably work something out for the autoexec.bat :)

Weird! Does this error occur when testing in a VM or on a physical DVD? Perhaps it's something to do with the emulation?

I would think that if it's only about the two missing files that there are easy solutions, after all mscdex can be found on just about a gazillion places on the web, and we can probably work something out for the autoexec.bat  :)

Well thanks ArmyDoc with your screen shot I found the files I was missing these were:

mscdex.exe

io.sys

pqpb.rtc

Autoexec.bat

Ive got no idea why these did not copy to the rescue floppies as I did this several times & was able to locate most of the missing files in PM8 itself.

I also found command.com also corrupt with some friggin around like you said used some other files from other places & was finally able this to boot in VPC.

Like you I found the the win 95 boot option the winner. I will now be able to include this in my DVD.

• 2 weeks later...

Please help me with a problem with PM8.

I have attach a picture where you can see that it hangs in dos, as far as I can see

is that it don´t start the image ( PM8.IMA ) at all.

A question to Alanoll, Mavericks or ArmyDoc you have writting that you created the

image with Winimage what version ?

Because in my version (6.10.6100) I can´t set the bootsector to Dos6.22 I have these options:

MS-Dos = MS-Dos5.0

Win 95 = MSwin4.0

Win NT = MSwin4.0

Do you have any good ideas why ???

One more thing is that when you creared the image file how did you do that, my version of Partion Magic floppys (Ver.8.01) have to disks as yours but the autoexec.bat is in disk 1 and disk 2 !!! I know that they are the same but just an idea to what the problem cut be.

I have seen ArmyDoc´s picture and you have io.sys and msdos.sys I don´t I have ibmbio.com and ibmdos.com any idea why ???

Can anyone please help me here !!!

PM8Hangs.zip

I have seen ArmyDoc´s picture and you have io.sys and msdos.sys I don´t I have ibmbio.com and ibmdos.com any idea why ???

that depends on which OS you create the boot discs. on win9x (me?) it will not use ibm dos, on all winnt platforms (nt, 2k, xp..) it makes the disks with these files ( ibmbio.com and ibmdos.com)

btw loading the partition magic 8 image works fine here. its not a special image at all, all u have to do is making those 2 pm8 discs, copy the content to a dir in the root of ur boot cd on ur hdd. make ur own autoexec.bat/config.sys or use/modify those ones from win9x bootdisk and add a line like x:\pm8\pqmagic.exe to ur autoexec.bat.

there are tons of guides in the inet for all your questions. and ur problems is no problem with pqmagic8 its more that you dont get ur bootcd working in the correct way :/