Nvidia 7600GS

adamzan7

Hey guys, it's amazing whats being done to keep 9x alive, and there is enough to keep me reading on this forum until I find another job. (**** economy).

Anyways, I've installed 98SE on my p4 machine with 2 gigs of ram. So far its running alright, did the ram tweaks, so all is good there. The problem I'm having is that the Unofficial 82.69 driver will recognize my card, but the resolution will not stay. I can set it to 640x480 with full colors but if I try to bring it up to 1440x900 (my monitors native resolution) the entire screen goes black. I can give it the three finger solute but it will just bluscreen, and if i reboot, it'll go back to 16 bit color. I can't even get it up to 800x600 without this occuring.

Thank god I have my vista laptop from which I am posting this :lol:

Have I missed something, it's getting late and I need more coffee *heads off to tim hortons* heheh. Just_Cuz_12.gif

TIA

Edited by adamzan7

Thanks, I looked your link, but I don't think my problem is related to DVI, as this monitor is analog.

More details about what happens:

I installed the drivers, the installer said it couldn't find any nvidia cards on my system, well that's happened before so I just pointed windows hardware wizard to the directory and it found and installed the card. I reboot, and I'm in High color mode, woohoo right? Nope. The resolution is at 640x480. I go into display properties and drag the slider over to 1440x900, hit apply, and the screen just goes black. So I reboot the system, it tries to go into safemode but it won't, it just shuts the computer off. When I boot it up AGAIN, I select normal startup, it proceeds. Once into windows I get a message saying There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter typ is incorrect (umm no I've got the right one) or the current settings do not work with your hardware. Well they should, shouldn't they?

After I click ok it gives me a display properties box. It shows the hardware is installed correctly and is reported as : Acer AL1916W on NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS. I can choose either 16 bit, 256 or high color. Then the whole cycle starts again.

Is this a familiar problem? Or am I just incredibly...retarded. :realmad:

Oh I guess I should post the specs of my system.

P5VD1-X Asus motherboard

acer AL1916W monitor

2 gigs of ram

Nvidia 7600gs

Edited by adamzan7

Do you have a driver (an .inf, usually) for your monitor? If not, the videocard driver might not properly recognize the capabilities of the monitor and falls back to the minimal resolution.

It's also possible that the card does not get along well with this driver; other users that have similar configuration should confirm whether the unofficial 82.69 driver works correctly for them or not.

I) Let's do a somewhat more complex test, and see whether it solves your problem:

0) Backup your system!

1) Go to RLoew's Site and grab the RAM Limitation Patch Demo.

2) Install RAM Limitation Patch Demo with the /M switch.

3) Reboot into Windows and test, to see whether things now work OK or not.

II) In case the above doesn't solve your problem, you might change the driver for an older one. I've discussed how to do it here.

BTW, how much video RAM does your 7600GS have onboard? It's an AGP card, right? What's the AGP aperture you're using?

Ok, installing the patched seemed to allow the resolution to stay and allow me to change them on the fly and not have it go nuts.

The 7600GS has 256 megs and I'm using a 128mb agp aperture. Maybe I should reduce it? Since this is a demo, it will only last ten minutes. Am I going to have to buy that patch?

Thanks in advance.

Oh and when I tried to boot into dos mode the first time, I selected it from the shutdown menu like in the good old days, except this time it gave me a windows protection error, just before it displayed the command prompt. Go figure :rolleyes:

Edited by adamzan7