turning xp home into corporate ...

dr.zick

Is there a way to turn a copy of XP Home into XP Corporate ... Or make it so it doesn't need to be registered? I want to make an unattended/slimmed down XP disk but want to start with a virgin copy of XP (as opposed to downloading a copy from bittorrent), but the only original copies of XP I can find anywhere are the Home version. Thanks for any help you offer me.

Oops ... my bad.

I haven't read those rules for a long time, and I didn't realize the line about subverting activation. I just saw the warez part and probably thought to myself, "Don't ask anyone for warez."

I have a copy of XP pro from my university and was thinking of buying a copy of Home I found on eBay. I wasn't sure if this was something that's been done before and that someone had written an article about.

Thanks for the heads up!

Well, it's possible, but it's not legal. Thus I'm not going to describe how to do it. But can't you buy a Pro license for cheap, since you're a student? In the Netherlands, and many other Western countries, Microsoft has special student programs like MSDNAA.

Edit: Added link to MSDNAA.

Edited by beats

I have a copy of Pro already from my university. My copy of Pro isn't a virgin copy as far as I can tell. It doesn't have the holographic label (just a white label with the university logo, a microsoft logo, and an install key number). I had to show the tech at the computer lab my school ID, which he swiped in some card reader before he handed me a disk. They were under lock and key, so I don't think they were doing anything shady, I just don't know how original it is.

I wanted to try making a slimmed down version of Home (mainly cause Home is the only version I can find on eBay) with nLite. I don't really need a lot of the stuff Pro has, like Desktop Sharing.

I really wanted to try Media Center but was kinda afraid that if I took out WMP and IE would there be anything left. :rolleyes:

I guess my original question should have been something like, "If I delete a file somewhere from the disk, will it make activating go away" ... I wasn't really trying to hack it, as much as I was just wondering if it were that simple. My guess now is probably not and I guess I opened up a big can of worms.

Downloading an XP ISO from a torrent or anywhere is not illegal; provided you have a valid, unused license key for that type of media. It's the license key and the right to use it you pay for, not the installation media.

If that was true, you'd be able to buy your Windows XP cdrom at the corner shop for $3.

I have a copy of Pro already from my university. My copy of Pro isn't a virgin copy as far as I can tell. It doesn't have the holographic label (just a white label with the university logo, a microsoft logo, and an install key number). I had to show the tech at the computer lab my school ID, which he swiped in some card reader before he handed me a disk. They were under lock and key, so I don't think they were doing anything shady, I just don't know how original it is.

I wanted to try making a slimmed down version of Home (mainly cause Home is the only version I can find on eBay) with nLite. I don't really need a lot of the stuff Pro has, like Desktop Sharing.

I really wanted to try Media Center but was kinda afraid that if I took out WMP and IE would there be anything left. :rolleyes:

I guess my original question should have been something like, "If I delete a file somewhere from the disk, will it make activating go away" ... I wasn't really trying to hack it, as much as I was just wondering if it were that simple. My guess now is probably not and I guess I opened up a big can of worms.

The MSDNAA program is not they same as the copy you seem to have. MSDNAA copies don't need a card readers and such, you can just download a copy from the MSDNAA site, and get a legitimate license key. I don't know which country you're from, but over here you can get a MSDNAA XP or Vista license for about 30 euros/dollars. This probably beats any offer on E-Bay, and you're certain it's a valid license (unlike second-hand media that's sold on E-Bay).

Your original question would involve 'hacking' original files on the original disk, which not only violates the Microsoft EULA, but the MSFN rules as well.

Downloading an XP ISO from a torrent or anywhere is not illegal; provided you have a valid, unused license key for that type of media. It's the license key and the right to use it you pay for, not the installation media.
:blink::blink: :blink:
1.b Respect the requests of companies who do not permit redistribution of their products without express permission - including unmodified hotfix/feature pack packages. Download sources for official software should be from the vendor directly where possible. Posts made containing this type of content may be removed immediately without warning, and offenders may be banned on first violation.
It's quite illegal.

Anyways, the OP's question violates rule 1a. As such...

[ Closed. ]