Simple Boot Logo

Queue

My desktop background color is black so the default Win98SE startup logo was blindingly bright compared to the pre-logo boot period and the Windows desktop. I wanted something simple, so initially I had a black screen with just a Windows XP style blue loading bar. This was nice, but slightly too minimalist, and smacked of Vista. There was another problem: before reaching the desktop, the logo would disappear and I'd be staring at a black screen with a blinking text cursor in the upper left (my autoexec.bat has a CLS in it).

I decided to build an ASCII Art logo in autoexec.bat using ECHO lines so there'd be some sort of picture between the graphical logo and my desktop.

boot_txt.png

I was happy with the results and wound up cloning the text-mode logo to the animated graphical logo and here's the result:

boot_img.png

As you can see, they match almost perfectly; here's a ZIP containing the animated logo (LOGO.SYS) and a BAT file. Copy the contents of the BAT file to the end of your autoexec.bat file (the important part is the CLS and two ECHO lines).

Download ZIP File

Queue

Erm, I think you missed the point: I shared this for the hell of it, I will never change my boot logo again. There are many very nice fancy boot logos out there already: people have been making them since like 1995. It was a nice XP-style boot logo that actually inspired me to mess with my boot logo in the first place (aside from the blinding brightness of the default 98SE boot logo).

What I thought I provided that was unique was an ANSI Art Windows logo (the two ECHO lines in the batch file). The one seen during the fabled MinWin presentation was pathetic.

Queue

Originally I was writing my own COM program to display the logo rather than using ECHO, but it seemed (I didn't do proper benchmarking) that running a simple COM file was slower than using ECHO. Keep in mind autoexec.bat is being parsed anyway when considering processing cost; I am assuming that CLS and ECHO are both in-built command.com commands and not external COM files.

It takes two ECHO lines the way I did it because I hit ECHO's max character limit trying to cram it all on one line. =/

I may take another stab at it at some point down the line, as the only reason the animated logo isn't in color is because the text-mode version isn't. I had played around with some versions based on letters, numbers and symbols or using a geater variety of ANSI/ASCII symbols, but wound up liking the simplicity and continuity of the blocks. The animated logo takes up 12 colors excluding the animated bar (which uses 16 palette entries). 1 color is black and 7 are the animated bar's outline; the Windows logo is 4 shades of grey.

Here's how closely I actually matched the Windows 98 logo:

boot_mix.png

Queue

Yep, I really like the idea of the ASCII art. :)

Simple and effective. :thumbup

It is assumed that you already tried the DOS-LOGO.SYS:

http://logosys.logotypes.se/

and for any reason it did not work for you/you didn't like it, right? :unsure:

For the record, DOS-LOGO.SYS is a device driver that "reloads" the graphical logo from config.sys, thus "hiding" the text that would be otherwise seen on screen.

jaclaz

Yeah, I referenced that site quite a bit when making the animated logo; did a fair bit of experimenting with the second byte related to the palette cycling, but without getting worthwhile results (lots of seizure-y color flickering though). The program I used to adjust the color palette entries produced a BMP that wasn't viable as a boot logo (offset of the bitmap data wasn't proper) so had to shift some things around using a HEX Editor and I used that site as a reference. Again, I wanted to avoid extra processing overhead, even if ridiculously minimal, so using a SYS file was about as appealing as using a COM file.

Queue

This reminds me the WLL update project has stalled for a long time, having my fingers stuck in too many other pies. Maybe you could chime in with a few ideas, time allowing.

Please note that most of the links expired (those at uploaded.to) but I still have the complete package somewhere around, if you wanna look at the (ugly :P ) code.

I wish PassingBy would get some spare time too, coz he really knows what he's doing. ;)

Edited by Drugwash