error 0xc000000e problem (topic title changed)

piotrania

Problems after installing Hitachi Microdrive Disk Filter.

Facts :

My PC : 2 hard disks, 4 partitions, 2 OS (XP Sp3)

I wanted to check multiboot from USB drive, so I installed Hitachi Microdrive drive filter. It was OK. USB Pendrive was seen as fixed disk.

Then I decided to revert to previous standard Microsoft disk drivers for USB device. I did it with no problem using Device Manager.

Now almost everything came back to previous state except one thing I can not boot any longer from my USB-VistaPE.

When I’m trying to boot from my USB-VistaPE following message appears:

"File: Boot\BCD

Info An error eccured while attempting to read the boot configuration data"

Few words about my USB-VistaPE : it is Samsung Pedrive which was formatted using simply diskpart commands (select disk 1; clean; crate partition primary ;select partition 1; active; format fs=fat32; assign) and then files from CD VistaCE were copied on it. It works excellent. I can boot from it on almost all PCs. I successfully tested it on 12 various computers. It was OK for my computer too until I installed Hitachi Microdrive.

I guess (I’am not sure) that during installation of Hitachi Microdrive drive filter some changes were made in MBR on my first hard disk. I have no enough knowledge about MBR to find which sector is responsible for it and how to change it back. Unfortunately I haven’t got copy of previous MBR and I don’t want to reinstall systems.

Help appreciated

Edited by piotrania

Referring to my previous post I do hope that in this forum attended by so many experienced guys somebody give me a clue.

In the meantime I checked hundreds other post here and on others forums. I’ve find that problem of error 0xc000000e was deeply discussed ( link )but there is no answer to my question:

What changes in my computer have been made during installation of drive filter (Hitachi) and how remove these changes ?

In mentioned post there are information how modify USB stick, using Grub4Dos to avoid the problem. Author (ktp) assuming that problem concern only some BIOS. In my case I’ve used the same computer (same BIOS) and problem appeared after installing drive filter.

There is no Grub4Dos on my USB-VistaPE and as I mentioned before I have no problem to boot almost all PCs.

...It was OK for my computer too until I installed Hitachi Microdrive.

I doubt Hitachi microdrive did ANY changes to your MBR/bootsector etc. It only hooks on the fly the query "are you removable or fixed(basic) disk?" when USB disk is inserted, and returns always "fixed". For the technical details look here, it's the same approach:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/sovie...;select=1468013

...The way the USB device is presented to the system is defined by the RemovableMedia field of the STORAGE_DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR structure that USBSTOR.SYS returns in response to a IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY request. If the device manufacturer wants the device to present itself as a basic disk, they make the driver set the RemovableMedia field of the STORAGE_DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR structure that it returns in response to the IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY request to FALSE. As a result, the device gets presented to the system as a basic disk - DISK.SYS clients will have no idea as to whether they are actually dealing with the hard drive or with a USB device.

Therefore, if we hook the IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL routine of USBSTOR.SYS, we can present the removable disk as a basic one to the system, simply by modifying the return value of the IOCTL_STORAGE_QUERY_PROPERTY request - luckily for us, no more checks are done...

Once you have USB stick seen as fixed, partition operations are allowed. This is done by the OS/Partition program, and Hitachi driver has nothing to do with the read and write operations to the USB stick, neither would rewrite MBR/bootsector ANYWHERE. Since you removed Hitachi microdrive driver from the game, it should not play any role as well.

Some BIOS-es have hard time reading beyond certain boundary at boot time and boot loaders may have problems reading the next files- when copying files to USB stick always copy the boot files first. Those are BOOTMGR and BOOT folder for Vista, NTLDR/NTDETECT.COM/BOOT.INI for XP, GRLDR for grub4dos etc. and copy the rest afterwards.

Other idea- BOOTMGR doesn't like partitioned USB stick- try newer/older version of the same. Try the same source on the same unpartitioned USB stick to isolate the problem.

Try installing grub4dos in MBR or bootsector (guide), and chainload BOOTMGR, assuming VistaPE is in first partition:

menu.lst

title Start VistaPE
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /bootmgr

If still no luck- use the solution by KTP, it's somehow universal.

BTW is this the right subforum? ;)

Well, apart from the wrong sub-forum, there is also a wrong "object". ;)

We are talking here about the Hitachi Microdrive Filter Driver, not about an actual Hitachi (or other brand)

jaclaz

Yes I agree title of post should be "Problems after installing Microdrive Filter Drive" (if possible should be changed) but if somebody read the post I think he/she has no doubt that I'm writing about drive filter not Microdrive (storage device) especially when post was put in multiboot subforum. In my second post I put clearly "filter driver"

The problem is closely connected with process of creating partitions on USB stick.

Nevertheless I confirm that problem started immediately after I installed Microdrive Filter Drive.

Would be obliged if somebody could answer question in my second post. I don't want to get instruction how improve my bootable pendrive (I dit it already)

jaclaz dont be ;) its better :thumbup ,I read hundreds of your posts, always professional, kind with sense of humor and I do hope you could comment my problem not technical mistakes only.

Edited by piotrania

Sure, I will try and help you as much as I can, but we must start on a new basis:

1) A filter driver CANNOT in ANY way alter a MBR by itself

2) The MBR of internal hard disk has NO connection whatever to USB booting

3) Some action performed by the user or by some software WHILE the Filter Driver was installed may have altered something

Once you agree (or simply fake agreeing ;)) to the above we can start trying to work out what could it be.

First things that should be verified:

1) The MBR of the USB stick

2) The BCD store on the USB stick

To get a copy of the MBR of the stick use HDhacker:

http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

(you want to point it to the appropriate PhysicalDrive)

Can you zip them in an archive and post it here?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Many thanks jaclaz for your kind post (as usual)

You are expert but to be frank I do not understand presented approach.

I have USB-VistaPE (discribed in my first post) which I've been using succsfully on many computers for long time. I didn't use this USB stick (Samsung Mightly) when I installed filter drive under Windows XP. I used similar but not the same USB stick testing partitions on USB stick.

I used my USB-VistaPe on my PC before I started tests with multiboot USB stick and everyting was OK. After I finished tests with drive filter I could not boot from my original USB-VistaPE any longer.

Maybe I'm wrong but the reason of the error is not my stick (all time the same) but PC (which behaviour is different after drive filter test).

Of cource I can send requested files

Data.rar

Edited by piotrania

Many thanks jaclaz for your kind post (as usual)

You are expert but to be frank I do not understand presented approach.

I have USB-VistaPE (discribed in my first post) which I've been using succsfully on many computers for long time. I didn't use this USB stick (Samsung Mightly) when I installed filter drive under Windows XP. I used similar but not the same USB stick testing partitions on USB stick.

I used my USB-VistaPe on my PC before I started tests with multiboot USB stick and everyting was OK. After I finished tests with drive filter I could not boot from my original USB-VistaPE any longer.

Maybe I'm wrong but the reason of the error is not my stick (all time the same) but PC (which behaviour is different after drive filter test).

Of cource I can send requested files

Well, the problem is that I do not seem to understand fully your report.

How I get it:

1) you had a stick working perfectly on many computers

2) you added the Hitachi Microdrive Filter Driver to one computer (installing it to an Operating System on that computer)

3) you never connected this USB stick to that computer while the Filter Driver was installed

4) you removed the Filter Driver from the OS on that computer

5) since you did the above the USB stick does not boot anymore on that computer

What I am missing is whether the stick continues working allright on all the other computers or not. :unsure:

If the above summary is incorrect in any way, please post more details and supply the missing parts.

Now, as I see it, NOTHING in the installing or uninstalling of any software, let alone a Filter Driver, to an OS can alter the way a motherboard boots from USB, you should be able to physically disconnect altogether the HD where the OS was installed or wipe it and the USB booting should work as well.

So the possibilities I see are just three:

1) some settings have changed in the BIOS of that computer, due to unknown reasons

2) something has changed in the USB stick, due to unknown reasons

3) something else, again due to unknown reasons has happened

About the last point, it could be:

1) having added any other hardware to the computer, an internal card or an extrernal device, even a USB hub

2) using another USB port (usually those on the back, soldered to the motherboard, are more reliable then front ones

3) some hardware malfunctioning

jaclaz

If the above summary is incorrect in any way, please post more details and supply the missing parts.

3) something else, again due to unknown reasons has happened

About the last point, it could be:

1) having added any other hardware to the computer, an internal card or an extrernal device, even a USB hub

2) using another USB port (usually those on the back, soldered to the motherboard, are more reliable then front ones

3) some hardware malfunctioning

jaclaz

Thanks for detailed comment.

Your summary is fully correct and I confirm my USB stick works perfectly on other computer.

Nothing has happened to my computer. it has worked good before I started to test microdrive drive filter and now is also OK (except mentioned error)

All happened in one evening in following order:

1. I showed my friend how my USB-VistaPE works on my computer (everything was OK)

2. I took another USB stick and wanted to create partitions so I installed drive filter.

3. I resigned from further tests with USB partitions so I reverted to Microsoft drives

4. I tried to use my USB-VistaPE on this computer but the error occured.

One more thing. The reason of my post is to try understand what happened not to remove cause of the error without knowing what going on (let say by cleaning disk). I still can use my PC and I can boot VistaPE from CD.

One more thing. The reason of my post is to try understand what happened not to remove cause of the error without knowing what going on (let say by cleaning disk). I still can use my PC and I can boot VistaPE from CD.

Sure, that is the same reason why I am trying to help you, I couldn't care less about your VistaPE stick not working ;), I am curious to understand the reason why it does not.

I had a quick look at the MBR'S you sent, BOTH are a bit "strange", the one of the Hard Disk has a non active primary NTFS partition starting at CHS 0/1/3 (normal should be 0/1/1) and with 65 :w00t: hidden sectors, plus an active second primary partition, as well NTFS, and the Extended partition.

The MBR of the stick seems to have been formatted with a CHS geometry of n/255/63 (correct) but with the active 0B FAT32 partition starting at CHS 0/2/3 (normal should be 0/1/1) and with 128 :w00t: hidden sectors.

Out of curiosity, what did you use to partition/format the hard disk and stick?

Used some "strange" bootmanager in the past?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

My USB stick (see my first post) was formated using Diskpart ( commands: select disk x; clean; create partition primary ;select partition 1; active; format fs=fat32; assign)

My hard disks ( 2 pcs, 6 partitions) were formated using Acronis Director Suite 10. I used also Try&Decide function of Acronis True Immage 11 (part of disk is blocked)

Additional info: I've sacrificed my new laptop and repeated all steps previously done and there is no error on my laptop. I've checked differences between my desktop and laptop. In my desktop there is additional disk drive- snapman.sys (installed during instalation of Acronis Director Suite or True Image) two others drives: Microsoft disk.sys and PartMgr.sys.

Now I suppose we are close to solve the matter. Probably changes were made when I created partitons on my test-USB stick using Acronis DS. Some people reported problems with boot devices after using Acronis DS.

Edited by piotrania

The experiment with the laptop confirms my initial theory of an UNKNOWN reason, coincidentally happening at the same time of the Filter Driver install.

From my experience, Acronis products (but I have tested/used only rather oldish releases, like 7 or 8), whilst actually making some undocumented/non-standard modifications to hard disk hidden sectors, never made non-standard partitions.

Having 65 (instead of 63) hidden sectors is really WEIRD.

As well, diskpart, on tens of sticks partitioned/formatted with it that I have examined, NEVER made a non-63 hidden sectors partitioning, the data on your stick suggests that diskpart either failed to sense correctly the stick, or it is some particular stick, like an "U3" or a "CDRW" one.

However, BOTH the above points, though queer do not account for the problems you reported.

Also, whatever drivers, apps and "whatnot" inside your "resident" OS have NOT ANY (or should not have any) influence on the booting of ANOTHER OS from external media, the exception being if some Registry entries (not strictly related to drivers) are read in an attempt to "discover" existing hardware.

Before starting fiddling with the Registry, other tests should be made.

At this point, the only not completely senseless explication is some kind of hardware problem.

Since VistaCE is nothing but a (rather well ;)) enhanced setup routine, there have been reports of problems booting it when some problems are present on the hardware, typically:

a. defective RAM

b. bad sectors on the HD

Tests that you can make with relatively low effort:

1. run Memtest+ to check thoroughly your RAM

2. try booting from the stick after having physically disconnected the internal hard disk.

Experiment 2. would anyway exclude that the Registry of the installed OS has anything to do with the reported misbehaviour.

jaclaz

The experiment with the laptop confirms my initial theory of an UNKNOWN reason, coincidentally happening at the same time of the Filter Driver install.

Also, whatever drivers, apps and "whatnot" inside your "resident" OS have NOT ANY (or should not have any) influence on the booting of ANOTHER OS from external media, the exception being if some Registry entries (not strictly related to drivers) are read in an attempt to "discover" existing hardware.

Fully agree.

At this point, the only not completely senseless explication is some kind of hardware problem.

Please take into account that I had no problems to boot from USB-VistaCE on my computer before USB stick tests with partitioning and I have no problem to boot from CD-VistaCE right now.

I can run suggested tests but I think ( maybe I'm wrong) the problem is located in Registry entries made by Acronis. According to some information from net some Acronis drivers ( mainly) snapman.sys Registry entries can cause boot problems. It is remomended to remove some entries ( lowerfilters and upperfilters keys) I'm trying to get more information on it.

Maybe (though I cannot see why :unsure:)) this is related:

http://www.pronetworks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86031

As said, a good test would be to physically diconnect internal hard disk, but if it is a problem, you can also experiment by simply disabling it in BIOS, if booting works, it is something on the hard disk preventing it, if it still does not, it is something on the stick or in the BIOS settings.

jaclaz