HOWTO reset Service config back to install defaults?

mikesw

Is there any command-line tool that will reset all the installed Windows services (except those from 3rd parties) back

to the default configuration when windows was first installed? This includes security and the stop,start,manual settings

along with the dependencies the services uses.

I've used the secedit command on the C:\Windows directory to set that back to the Windows directory defaults,

but can't find one for the services part.

You can reset the services by using secedit and defining the "setup security.inf" file - this contains (amongst other things) default security and startup settings for services. You can also use the Security Templates and Security Configuration and Analysis MMC snap-ins to do this as well.

• 2 months later...
You can reset the services by using secedit and defining the "setup security.inf" file - this contains (amongst other things) default security and startup settings for services. You can also use the Security Templates and Security Configuration and Analysis MMC snap-ins to do this as well.

and what if an unexperienced user would like to do the same ? could you give some more details about the procedure ? (does it even work in XP home?)

thanks a lot!

edit : it seems that by default, the c:/windows/security/templates folder is locked (I cannot access it by command line or open a command in it) so how can I run a command on one of the files contained in the folder if I can't access it ? -thx for the help

Edited by adrien21

Sure, run the following command in a command prompt (note that the command below is all to be typed on one line):

secedit /configure /cfg "%windir%\security\templates\setup security.inf" /db ss.sdb /overwrite

Also note that there's already a KB on this, and a quick search here and on google came up with this KB as well. Remember to try and search before posting, as your question has already been touched on many times here and your wait time for a response would have been lower ;).