Making Program Available To All Users

willpantin

I installed PainShop Pro 8 on my user account, but other users on my computer cannot access the program. I placed Shortcuts on their Desktops, with Links to PainShop Pro (exact settings as the Shortcut on my user account Desktop, which works), but no dice.

I also tried installing PSP 8 on other user accounts, but that won't work either.

Anyone know how to allow everyone to use this program? (On installation, you do not get an option to choose who has access to it).

Thanks for any help...!

:/

Edit: Forgot to mention all users on my computer do have full administrator privileges...

well normally most setups have an option like install this only for me or to all users

maybe run setup again and look for something like that?

but thats strange if they are all admins they should be able to recall any file hmm

probably some dll's are not registered throught the other accounts maybe

Flyakite:

What if you manually went into the Program Files directory and tried to run it? What happens then?

Well, then an error message comes up.

This is a new problem I encountered installing PaintShop Pro 8 for a friend (not part of a clean install, I was only installing PSP); I will have to find out exactly what the error message is next time I talk to my friend having this problem.

I may have screwed up:

I ran the installation from one user, and when it rebooted, I logged into another user (his brother) by mistake. I could then hear the hard drive activity as it completed the changes from the installation. It seems this corrupted the installation, and uninstalling and reinstalling at this point does not seen to solve this problem...

It works fine for the second user, the one that got the files updated, but not for the user I actually ran the installation on to begin with...!

What about searching the registry and deleting all the keys under Paint Shop Pro or under "Jasc Software" or whatever it's under. Just delete every key possible related to Jasc or PSP. Also, make sure to login under both of the accounts and search, since the "HKEY Current User" registry entries will change under different accounts.

What OS are you running?

If you are running XP. You could just create an dummy account or log in as the Administrator. Install PS 8.

These settings will only apply to users that have not log in to the PC in the past. Meaning that the user does not have a profile on the PC.

1) Login as Administrator or Dummy accont.

2) Install PS 8. (Reboot if requier)

3) Login as the Administrator, if you used Dummy account (viseversa)

4) Right-click on my Computer, select Properties.

5) Select the Advanced Tab.

6) Look for the section Users Profiles and click on the Settings Button.

7) At the next screen, select the user you use to install the application.

8) Click the Copy button.

9) At the next screen in the section labled Copy Profile: type C:\Documents and Settings\Default User or the profile you want to copy this settings.

10) In the Permited to Use Click the Change Button. at the next screen Type Everyone Click Check Names button.

11) Click OK.

12) Click OK and Yes at the next prompt.

Now, if the user already has a profile, this will not apply to them it will only apply to users that have not log in to the PC.

1) Login as Administrator or Dummy accont.

2) Install PS 8. (Reboot if requier)

3) Login as the Administrator, if you used Dummy account (viseversa)

4) Right-click on my Computer, select Properties.

5) Select the Advanced Tab.

6) Look for the section Users Profiles and click on the Settings Button.

7) At the next screen, select the user you use to install the application.

8) Click the Copy button.

9) At the next screen in the section labled Copy Profile: type C:\Documents and Settings\ User Profile (example C:\Documents and Settings\ User1)

10) In the Permited to Use Click the Change Button. at the next screen Type Everyone Click Check Names button.

11) Click OK.

12) Click OK and Yes at the next prompt.

13) Log off and have the user log in.

Also you may need to make the user a power user or give the user permission on the registry key for PS.

NOTE: Be very careful when you edit the Registry.

Click on Start\Run

Type Regedit

Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Name of the software

Right click and select Permission. in the permissions add the Users Group and give this group Full Control or Click on Advanced and give this group all rights execpt the Delete.

Hope this help...

:)