Unknown Device in Device Manager

tronsr71

Hello all. This is my first post here. Been reading this forum for the past couple weeks as I've been customizing my WinXP install with nLite. What a great community and an awesome arsenal of resourses and knowledge here!!

So onto my problem... In my device manager, there is an unkown device that i have not been able to figure out what it is.

I have really stripped out a lot of stuff from XP with nLite, but left it functional enough for my needs as a virtual machine running in VMware Server 1.03.

To see what changes I have made I attached my last session file. Also Attached are the errors from device manager.

Thanks in advance for any help - Jeff

LAST_SESSION.INI

post-143865-1182396360_thumb.png

post-143865-1182396372_thumb.png

You will get more help (or even try to find out yourself with google) if you show the "details" tab of "unknown device properties".

There you will find "Device instance ID" with some letters and numbers below. Search for them.

GL

Ok, good suggestion.... here is the screenshot of the details tab... I did do a google on it and did not come up with much. Since it says ACPI0003, I tried changing the acpi setting from default to "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC". This did not solve the problem.

Next I will try Uniprocessor.

UPDATE: uniprocessor did not work either :(

post-143865-1182413438_thumb.png

Edited by tronsr71

Alright.... so I think I found the culprit... I'll have to test it first, however to confirm.

I looked at another XP virtual machine of mine that I had not removed so many dang components. It, of course had no issues in the device mananger. One thing I noticed right off the bat was that there was this thing called "Microsoft AC Adaptor" as a device listed under batteries.

Sure enough when I went to the details tab it's device instance ID was ACPI\ACPI0003\1. I am going to add the battery component back to my stripped down version of xp and see if that solves my problem.

Will promptly update in roughly 30 minutes..... :D

Hot digity! Since I added back the battery component, all is well. No more unknown devices in device mananger. Well there you have it, it was the battery component after all listed under the "hardware support" subsection in nLite.

Should this be added to the "do not remove" sticky? Even if you are not using the feature, it is still a part of VMware hardware by default.