Regarding KB926239

Since I seemed to have some minor problems with my most recent nlited CD, and since I was concerned that I didn’t have all the necessary windows updates slipstreamed on that CD, I created a ‘new’ nlite CD without any windows updates. Afterwards, I went to windows updates, downloaded and installed, and indeed I was missing some, so now I have revised my list and am ready to burn a new CD. However, there seems to be something kind of odd occurring with one KB. The issue is in regards to KB926239, Windows Media Player 10 may close unexpectedly on a Windows XP-based computer, released Feb 08, 2007. A little background info, I do have the “add on” for windows media player 11 on this CD. When I go to control panel/add & remove, this KB is listed, when I ran Belarc Advisor, its listed as being installed at the same time as all the others. However, and this is the strange part, when I go to windows update site, on the ‘review’, it is ‘not’ listed. When I went to the registry, all my ‘other’ hot fixes state ‘installed by Administrator’, this KB states ‘installed by “System”. Huh? So how did I get it? But more to the point, do I need to add this KB to my list?

On a related note, I looked at “Ryan’s”: http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html , but frankly I’m confused why people suggest to use it instead. Reason is, I briefly looked at the list, and stopped when I was up to “13” hot fixes that weren’t listed, that my computer needs, AND, there were a lot that were listed that my system says it doesn‘t need! That list was only 46.5MB’s, whereas my list is up to 90MB’s. That list ‘also’ doesn’t list this KB926239, by the way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or guidance,

Eddie

Sorry for the long post.

for WMP11 go here for individual hotfixes/updates as of May 26, 2007 and links to download:

http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?showtopic=84

and here for xables forums-an excellent source of knowledge and help for your querry-a thread dedicated to just WMP:

http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?act=idx

RyanVM's post SP2 update pack is that-an unofficial SP3 if you will, incorporating all that is critical, recommended and many released by MS that are for OS enhancement and/or reliability, but, not listed on any of MS's update sites. Some updates are not included-going by KB number-because even though a KB article will list a fix as not replacing another, the files in that package are, indeed, newer than some of those existing on the CDROM or in a previous fix, but, not all.

Add to this the fact that you are also slipstreaming all of the MSXML packages, webfolder updates...etc. which may be msi files in original form, and you have a much more functional OS, safe and updated right from install. Lastly, RyanVM states himself somwhere in his forum, I forget where, that some hotfixes by themselves cause more problems than they solve and are excluded from his pack, but, I go to Microsoft update after install using his latest, and Boooggy's latest WMP11 addon, everything is zero-no updates at all required. I use nlite to slipstream IE7 and the latest IE7 hotfixes.

Without knowing the nature of your problem, I would suggest you may have made an error in the making of your ISO, I've found this to be my personal experience.

Thanks for your reply, Rick

I will proceed with making a new CD with all my updates. Just an FYI, in the past, when I have slipstreamed, and visited windows updates, there were usually only three or four that I had to do, one of course is the usual MRT tool thingy and one was a 'modem' update. Since I couldn't find anything on the KB or how to download in advance, anyway, I will just ignore this issue for the time being. I do, by the way, always use a virtual pc before I burn a new CD. And, I might add, this particular time, since I wanted to ensure things were somewhat pristine, I used my "original" xp pro CD & the "original" sp2 CD when I did my little test.

Thanks again,

Eddie