bootmgr based Multiboot DVD ( currently XP & Vista)

To create multiboot dvd with XP and Vista,

first we have to add XP to bcd store of Vista DVD's bcd

copy vista dvd to folder say d:\vista-l

Copy XP CD to the same folder (i386,WINIP etc should be in the root of the disc along with sources, boot etc)

open cmd and type

(get bcdedit.exe from Vista DVD's boot folder)

bcdedit /store D:\vista-l\boot\bcd /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP setup"

bcdedit /store D:\vista-l\boot\bcd /set {ntldr} device boot

bcdedit /store D:\vista-l\boot\bcd /set {ntldr} path \I386\SETUPLDR.BIN

bcdedit /store D:\vista-l\boot\bcd /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

bcdedit /store D:\vista-l\boot\bcd /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

okay, now the boot store is ready.

Now create the DVD image as usual using cd image

cdimage -lXP_Vista -j1 -u1 -e -m -h -bD:\vista-l\boot\etfsboot.com D:\vista-l d:\xp-vista.iso

Similarly any NT based os (atleast XP, 2003) can be booted using bootmgr

Even More!!!

u can use boomgr without vista source

ie, it can be used for creating multiboot dvd of XP, 2003 etc

only u need the "boot" folder and "bootmgr" at root of DVD/CD

Testing :

I did it with vLited Vista and nLied XP Pro

UPDATE:

1. Delay in XP setup due to UDF filesystem

It is been reported that -u1 switch for cdimage causing delay in XP setup.

Possible reason 4 this will be due to XP setup reluctantancy to load files from mirror

UDF filesystem than joliet (-j1) file system.

AFAIK joliet filesystem max. single file size is 2GB

if u r install.wim is < 2GB then no problem occurs on avoiding -u1

otherwise u need u include -u1.

2. multibooting vista/server 2k8

Since the path (and name) of install.wim is hardcoded to <DVD_ROOT>\Sources\install.wim

it is impossile to install them along in same dvd using bootmgr.

If anybody know workarounds please post it.

Suggested solution is to merge the install.wim's

Thus making single install.wim with versions of Vista and Server 2k8 (like merging Vista x86 & x64 into one wim)

and selecting required version from unattened.xml

3. To remove ems support (the vista entry shows Windows Vista Setup [EMS Enabled])

bcdedit -store D:\vista-l\boot\bcd /bootems {bootmgr} OFF

Edited by Innocent Devil

• 3 weeks later...

I tried running your code all went well except for the last two lines of code the errors are listed below along with the code I ran

c:\EasyBoot\Disc1>bcdedit /store C:\EasyBoot\disc1\bcd /displayorder {NTLDR} /addlast

An error has occurred setting the element data.The system cannot find the file specified.

c:\EasyBoot\Disc1>bcdedit /store C:\EasyBoot\disc1\bcd /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

An error occurred while attempting to reference the specified entry.The system cannot find the file specified.

Am i missing something here ??

Thnx in advance

Using this same method, could you give directions for creating a multiboot CD with WinPE 2.0 and Windows XP? Even better, could you explain how to install WinPE 2.0 on the hard drive? Thanks so much in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the great tip, I got this to work very well for multi-booting Windows PE 2.0 (the new Vista based version) and several editions of Windows 2003 on a single DVD. However I cannot get the resulting ISO to boot once I add a second instance of Windows PE to the bcd store, has anyone tried doing this and gotten it working?

Here are the docs I worked from:

Boot Configuration Data Editor Frequently Asked Questions

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...a/aa905126.aspx

Here is what I did:

Started with Windows PE 2.0 files from WAIK (x86).

[Root]

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /set {default} DESCRIPTION "Windows PE 2.0"

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /set {default} EMS no

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /deletevalue {bootmgr} TIMEOUT

[boot Option #1]

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /create /application OSLOADER /d "Windows Server 2003 R2 - Standard Edition - Automated Install"

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /set {2770bd0a-4174-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4} device boot

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /set {2770bd0a-4174-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4} path \STDO\SETUPLDR.BIN

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /displayorder {2770bd0a-4174-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4} /addlast

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /set {2770bd0a-4174-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4} DESCRIPTION "Windows 2003 R2 - Standard Edition - Automated Install"

[boot Option #2]

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /create /application OSLOADER /d "Windows Server 2003 R2 - Standard Edition - Manual install"

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /set {3963abdf-4174-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4} device boot

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /set {3963abdf-4174-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4} path \STDM\SETUPLDR.BIN

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /displayorder {3963abdf-4174-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4} /addlast

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /set {3963abdf-4174-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4} DESCRIPTION "Windows 2003 R2 - Standard Edition - Manual install"

[boot Option #3]

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /create /application OSLOADER /d "Windows Server 2003 R2 - Standard Edition EVAL License - Automated Install"

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /set {4828a50f-4174-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4} device boot

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /set {4828a50f-4174-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4} path \STDE\SETUPLDR.BIN

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /displayorder {4828a50f-4174-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4} /addlast

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /set {4828a50f-4174-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4} DESCRIPTION "Windows 2003 R2 - Standard Ed. EVAL License - Automated Install"

This config boots up to here.

[Add second instance of Windows PE to menu]

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /copy {default} /d "System Quick Restore (Windows PE)"

This config boots up to here too.

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /set {4d28b85c-4183-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4} device ramdisk=[boot]\sources\restore.wim,{4d28b85c-4183-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4}

D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit /store D:\multiboot\boot\bcd /set {4d28b85c-4183-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4} osdevice ramdisk=[boot]\sources\restore.wim,{4d28b85c-4183-11dc-97f6-005056b27ab4}

Editing these two lines causes the ISO to no longer boot.

Any ideas?

Cool Stuff Guyz.

I did mine a month ago, but differently.

using vista's boot sector and easyboot's xp boot sector, I even managed (with some research) a GuiRunOnce in the vista unattended file. Only downfall is that Windows post installer is not vista compatible so I had to use windows commandscript instead. It Sucks.

Also using my oem license i got it to activate by itself.

Unfortunately I wont be uploading the iso due to the fact that my oem key is an original.

But I'm willing to help you create your own via this forum

:thumbsup

Hi friends,

I have tried the same approach for making bootable DVD of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 code name Longhorn.

I have taken Longhorn Installation Image in "Root" folder and created a folder named "Vista" in it and copied Vista Installation Image into that folder.

I have edited the bcd file of longhorn and given path of vista bootmgr into it.(i.e. \Vista\bootmgr ).

The DVD booted fine and shown two options

Windows Setup

Windows Vista

When I selected "Windows Setup", it successfully started longhorn installation.

But when I selected "Windows Vista" it again shown the previous window. I tried again and again it shown the same window. It is an Infinite Loop.

I guess, when I selected "Windows Vista" the bootmgr of Vista is loaded but it is using the same bcd file of Longhorn and showing the same options again.

If my guess is right, Can u tell me, How can I modify bootmgr so that it can read \Vista\boot\bcd file instead of \boot\bcd?

Thanks in advance.........

bootmgr is the "bootloader" not the Boot Configuration Data (aka BCD)

the dvd bootsector ( etfsboot.com ) always loads the bootmgr from ROOT of the DVD

this bootmgr checks for the boot configuration data in <DVD_ROOT>\Boot\bcd file

(This is same as what u seen in HDD install too The bootmgr in C: drive loads only C:\Boot\bcd)

So you have to edit the <DVD_ROOT>\Boot\bcd store in order to load any other

u did wat is to instruct <DVD_ROOT>\bootmgr to load <DVD_ROOT>\Vista\bootmgr --> Okay this is working

but then <DVD_ROOT>\Vista\bootmgr searches <DVD_ROOT>\Boot\bcd and loads the file

Thus it goes in a loop.

Okay to solve the issue

first understand how <DVD_ROOT>\Vista\Boot\bcd loads the OS ( bcdedit /store <DVD_ROOT>\Vista\Boot\bcd /enum /v )

then copy the same conf to <DVD_ROOT>\Boot\bcd by creating ne entry in the store

u should change the bcd parameters like

osdevice which by default will be ramdisk=[boot]\boot.wim,{GUID}

to ramdisk=[boot]\<properpath>\boot.wim,{GUID}

I figured out how to get multiple Win PE 2.0 WIMs in the menu with help from the posting here:

http://www.deployvista.com/Blog/JohanArwidmark/tabid/78/EntryID/27/Default.aspx

This is what I ended up with:

Rem Creates BCD (boot configuration data) for Windows 2003 - PE 2.0 DVD
set bcdedit=D:\multiboot\boot\bcdedit
set BCD-File=D:\multiboot\boot\bcd
del %BCD-File%
%bcdedit% /createstore %BCD-File%
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /create {ramdiskoptions} /d "Ramdisk options"
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdidevice boot
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set {ramdiskoptions} ramdisksdipath \boot\boot.sdi

set A=Windows 2003 R2 - Standard Edition - Automated Install
set B=Windows 2003 R2 - Standard Edition - Manual install
set C=Windows 2003 R2 - Standard Edition EVAL License - Automated Install
set D=Hardware Setup (Windows PE)
set E=Quick Restore (Windows PE)

for /f "tokens=1-3" %%a in ('%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /create /application OSLOADER /d "%A%"') do set guida=%%c
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guida% device boot
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guida% path \STDO\SETUPLDR.BIN
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guida% DESCRIPTION "%A%"

for /f "tokens=1-3" %%a in ('%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /create /application OSLOADER /d "%B%"') do set guidb=%%c
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guidb% device boot
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guidb% path \STDO\SETUPLDR.BIN
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guidb% DESCRIPTION "%B%"

for /f "tokens=1-3" %%a in ('%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /create /application OSLOADER /d "%C%"') do set guidc=%%c
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guidc% device boot
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guidc% path \STDO\SETUPLDR.BIN
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guidc% DESCRIPTION "%C%"

for /f "tokens=1-3" %%a in ('%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /create /d "%D%" /application osloader') do set guidd=%%c
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guidd% systemroot \Windows
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guidd% detecthal Yes
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guidd% winpe Yes
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guidd% osdevice ramdisk=[boot]\sources\hwsetup.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guidd% device ramdisk=[boot]\sources\hwsetup.wim,{ramdiskoptions}

for /f "tokens=1-3" %%a in ('%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /create /d "%E%" /application osloader') do set guide=%%c
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guide% systemroot \Windows
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guide% detecthal Yes
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guide% winpe Yes
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guide% osdevice ramdisk=[boot]\sources\restore.wim,{ramdiskoptions}
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set %guide% device ramdisk=[boot]\sources\restore.wim,{ramdiskoptions}

%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /create {bootmgr} /d "Windows Vista Bootloader"
:: %bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set {bootmgr} timeout 30
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /set {bootmgr} displayorder %guida% %guidb% %guidc% %guidd% %guide%
%bcdedit% /store %BCD-File% /enum all

cdimage.exe -lMultiBoot_Test -u1 -e -oi -m -h -bD:\multiboot\boot\etfsboot.com D:\multiboot "multiboot_test.iso"

Now everything works nicely. :thumbup

bootmgr is the "bootloader" not the Boot Configuration Data (aka BCD)

the dvd bootsector ( etfsboot.com ) always loads the bootmgr from ROOT of the DVD

this bootmgr checks for the boot configuration data in <DVD_ROOT>\Boot\bcd file

(This is same as what u seen in HDD install too The bootmgr in C: drive loads only C:\Boot\bcd)

So you have to edit the <DVD_ROOT>\Boot\bcd store in order to load any other

u did wat is to instruct <DVD_ROOT>\bootmgr to load <DVD_ROOT>\Vista\bootmgr --> Okay this is working

but then <DVD_ROOT>\Vista\bootmgr searches <DVD_ROOT>\Boot\bcd and loads the file

Thus it goes in a loop.

Okay to solve the issue

first understand how <DVD_ROOT>\Vista\Boot\bcd loads the OS ( bcdedit /store <DVD_ROOT>\Vista\Boot\bcd /enum /v )

then copy the same conf to <DVD_ROOT>\Boot\bcd by creating ne entry in the store

u should change the bcd parameters like

osdevice which by default will be ramdisk=[boot]\boot.wim,{GUID}

to ramdisk=[boot]\<properpath>\boot.wim,{GUID}

I am sorry, but I don't understood what u want to say?

Can u be more specific...........

u have to create the boot configuration data for loading Vista's WIM

int \boot\bcd

ie the "Windows Vista" should have a proper defnition in the bcd like "Windows Setup" no just loading the \Vista\bootmgr

try to copy the settings of "Windows Setup" and change the paths of osdevice and device options

Thats gr8.......

thank u very much........

Vista is booted properly but still have a problem....... :(

After I clicked on Install Now, a message box came telling

"A reqiured CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or USB flash drive,

Please insert it Now."

Can you tell me why this message came and how I can solve it?