RDC into Vista HOME PREMIUM..does not work with vlite.....

DavidinCT

If you see this link, you'll see that you can enable Remote desktop on Home Premium. Also Concurrent Sessions in any version of vista (that supports RDC)

http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?opt...&Itemid=224

I have home premium that I stripped out a lot of stuff (securty center, firewall, and other things but, kept in all the remote help and RDC client). After trying this "hack" to enable RDC in vista, it does not work. I have posted and talked to one of the people who enabled this hack but, he tried it and can't get it to work after using vlite.

See here....

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/permalink...ead.aspx#192968

Has anyone here played with this and got it to work under a vlite'd Home Premium build ?

Admins: if this can be got working, it would be a nice option to "add" onto the next build of vlite.....

If you see this link, you'll see that you can enable Remote desktop on Home Premium. Also Concurrent Sessions in any version of vista (that supports RDC)

http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?opt...&Itemid=224

I have home premium that I stripped out a lot of stuff (securty center, firewall, and other things but, kept in all the remote help and RDC client). After trying this "hack" to enable RDC in vista, it does not work. I have posted and talked to one of the people who enabled this hack but, he tried it and can't get it to work after using vlite.

See here....

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/permalink...ead.aspx#192968

Has anyone here played with this and got it to work under a vlite'd Home Premium build ?

Admins: if this can be got working, it would be a nice option to "add" onto the next build of vlite.....

lets pretend that RDC is dependent on a .dll from, lets say 'Firewall'....then the best option would be to keep the Firewall option.....and then take 1 minute to click to Services and Disable the 'Firewall'.....sometimes you have butter your own toast....LOL

If anyone knows what RDC needs for Dlls or features, please let me know. I have built a HTPC with vlite and it performs awsome with HD content for the machine I have, and really don't want to rebuld the box if I don't need to. I would rather try to fix then rebuild. Just wondering if I can pull files from my other Ultimate install and dump in dlls to that version to get it to work.

Any ideas ?

Sorry for the post here. I did seem to get it to work. I did play with a few services and reinstalled the batch file in safe mode and it seemed to make it work. I am not 100% sure on what I did to get it to work but, it does now.

Admins, it would be cool if the combo could be figured out for sure and added to the next version of Vlite to enable remote desktop for home premium, because it does work and it's a few reg settings and replacing a dll....

Sorry for the post here. I did seem to get it to work. I did play with a few services and reinstalled the batch file in safe mode and it seemed to make it work. I am not 100% sure on what I did to get it to work but, it does now.

I had this working and noticed the script uses netsh to let RDP through the firewall. If you've removed Collaboration with the current releases of vLite then that call will fail. If you have kept collaboration then it may be the call doesn't work on home premium as there is no rule defined. To workaround these problems you have to define the rule yourself, either manually or by importing from a reg file. If you import a rule that you want enabled then a restart of the firewall service will be required.

Admins, it would be cool if the combo could be figured out for sure and added to the next version of Vlite to enable remote desktop for home premium, because it does work and it's a few reg settings and replacing a dll....

It's a little more than that legally. Atm, vLite removes functionality you've paid for so vLite is pretty safe from the m$ lawyers. You're requesting it to add functionality you haven't paid for and is reserved to market more expensive editions of windows. If m$ wanted to come after vLite then it's this kind of thing that ensures they will.

Just edit the batch file a little so it'll work unattended then run it from somewhere during setup. :)

Jamie

Edited by jamieo